Colour Laser vs Inkjet: Colour Printing After disuse

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Niall Leonard, Sep 10, 2005.

  1. I have an Epson stylus photo 895 which has in the past produced
    excellent colour photographs. But I don't use it every day -
    sometimes I don't use it for months at a time - and the cartridges
    have the habit of drying up. The one I am using at the minute, for
    example, I have cleaned ten times and it is still producing crap, with
    severe banding, or in some case colours totally missing.

    I could replace the colour cartridge, but then in a few months' time
    I'll have the same problem again.

    I was thinking of buying a HP Laserjet 2600n, a four-pass laser colour
    printer with a anetwork interface. I know it won't produce
    photo-standard glossy prints, but my question is, if I only use it for
    colour every month or so, will it grumble and screw up the way the
    Epson does? Or is colour laser technology more forgiving of long
    periods of disuse than inkjet?

    The best price I have found for the 2600n is about £255 including VAT,
    or £258 at my local PC World (!) which since it eliminates delivery
    works out about the same. Does anyone know of a better price, or have
    a recommendation for a better printer in the same price range?

    TIA

    nl

    Niall Leonard, Sep 10, 2005

  2. Niall Leonard

    Jeremy Boden Guest

    I thought this looked interesting - but if you look at
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/18972-236251-236268-15077-f
    51-446153-446154-446155.html

    You will see "Print drivers, std. Host-based (Uses the processing
    power and resources of your computer to process the print job. No PCL or
    PostScript.)"

    So it's a like a win modem - i.e. only works with Windows, despite being
    networked.

    Jeremy Boden, Sep 11, 2005

  3. Niall Leonard

    The Outsider Guest

    Don't buy a laser printer for phographic work, they are not very good
    at it. Get a thermal dye sublimation printer. That will solve your
    issue with the ink drying up and give you good photo prints.

    I will never buy an inkjet again due to the ink drying problem. I've
    had two inkjet printers become useless because of dried ink clogging
    the heads. Ordering new heads is not cost effective.

    The Outsider, Oct 13, 2005