Comment - dell mcafee

Discussion in 'Dell' started by SMF, Apr 18, 2004.

  1. SMF

    SMF Guest

    This is about the Dell Mcafee virus program that came with my
    computer.

    I've had this piece of crap for just over a year. I have never really
    liked it, having used norton antivirus for many years before.

    I have never been able to download the virus definitions through the
    program except for the first time I registered but would get them
    through FTP and install manually. So no big deal

    Then the program expired last week. What really gets me is that it
    gives you no warning and totally disables itself. I'm sorry, but I
    have other things to do in life and on the computer than to just drop
    everything and go pay for mcafee. In the meantime I seem to get a
    variety of email viruses daily.

    Also, I once called Dell about a way to shut off the constant warnings
    when I get a virus via email with the prompt to scan my entire system.
    I got this about 10 times a day. The answer from Dell tech was that
    this was good, that the system was working. That was unacceptable.

    So about a thousand needless computer clicks later I took a copy of
    good old NAV 2003 and installed that. Really works great.

    Dell, I'm going to think twice about buying another if you provide
    such crappy software such as this.

    SMF, Apr 18, 2004

  2. My experience with the Mcafee that came on my Dell last year wasn't
    quite the same as yours. For one thing, mine always did the autoupdate
    with no problem and I never had to do it manually. You said it expired
    with no warning? Toward the end I got popups telling me how many days
    were left until it expired and then after it did I got requests to renew
    it. You can also turn off the automatic email scanning if it bothers
    you. Personally I liked to be warned and you might want to think about
    why you are getting these warning 10 times a day. I have used NAV in
    the past and found that it works well, but I have no complaints about
    McAfee.

    Ken

    Kenneth J. Harris, Apr 18, 2004

  3. I don't care for McAfee either so I bought my Dells with Norton.

    As far as I can tell both are still offered.

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    HillBillyBuddhist, Apr 18, 2004
  4. SMF

    foltmanns Guest

    Hi...I don't care for McAfee antivirus product. I had it on my PII 450-mhz
    Gateway computer and have had nothing but problems. Got fed-up and switched
    to Nortons. A month ago, I purchased a Dell 8300 computer online. By default
    Dell has the McAfee product, but I switched it to Norton's Internet Security
    2004. I've had my new computer for a month now, and I've been very happy
    with the latest version of Nortons. No problems at all.

    Fe

    foltmanns, Apr 18, 2004
  5. SMF

    Steve Larson Guest

    I've not had a problem with McAfee on Dell. Seems a little theatrical to
    not buy another Dell just because of McAfee. I believe you can order a pc
    without McAfee, or just uninstall it when you get it. Not really a life
    changing event here.

    Steve Larson, Apr 18, 2004
  6. SMF

    Acadia Guest

    Not really a life changing event here.

    Agreed, besides there are simply too many excellent products out there
    beside the big "two", McAfee and Norton. There are over two dozen AV
    available and most of them are excellent products including at least a
    couple completely free ones.

    Acadia, Apr 19, 2004
  7. SMF

    Mistoffolees Guest

    Some really good ones out there. Currently using both the free
    and retail versions of AVG. Started out with the free version for
    our systems because NAV's engine failed after downloading a virus
    definition file that had a flawed engine. At the same time the
    Symantec LiveUpdater program got seriously corrupted from the same
    update that necessitated removal of all Symantec/Norton products
    along with a registry cleanup. NAV originally replaced McAfee as
    it routinely hung our Windows NT systems. And since McAfee trial
    period had expired in my personal Dell notebook, replaced it with
    AVG 6.0 free version. Like the OP, got no real warning but was
    expecting it to happen on the 90th day. But what the heck, I did
    not want McAfee in the first place when buying the notebook and
    did not even paid for it.

    Mistoffolees, Apr 19, 2004
  8. I can attest to the fact that the free version of AVG seems to act
    fairly well.

    And a suggestion about switching to norton software. Buy the last
    year's edition of the software and you can save ~90%. For example, I
    recently found a copy of Norton SystemWorks 2003 for $8.50 including
    shipping. The AV database gets updated the first time you run it
    anyway.

    ....[thwack]...

    Thomas G. Marshall, Apr 19, 2004
  9. Thomas G. Marshall

    I should have supplied this for you. Here's where you can find it:

    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

    Thomas G. Marshall, Apr 19, 2004
  10. SMF

    SMF Guest

    It was unusual that my version really had no way to customize it. I'm
    getting these warnings because I get a lot of junk mail with virus
    attachments. No big deal really, but with mcafee I need to respond to
    each and every one

    I wonder if I didn't get the popups because I had to manually update
    the definitions.

    Thanks

    SMF, Apr 19, 2004
  11. SMF

    Pat Conover Guest

    Thomas, Where did you find Norton System Works 2003 for $8.50. I'm looking
    to update several machines. Thanks

    Pat Conover
    Remove *nospam* to e-mail me.
    *nospam*

    Pat Conover, Apr 19, 2004
  12. Thomas G. Marshall, Apr 20, 2004
  13. SMF

    Hank Arnold Guest

    Dell provides both McAfee and Norton when a machine is configured. The
    customer chooses the one to use. There are many people who prefer McAfee to
    Norton. I happen to be in the camp that says McAfee sucks big time, but that
    is the essence of a free market. How you can slam Dell for providing
    something that the market wants is beyond me. Customers want it.

    I agree with Dell. I want to get an alert whenever I get an infected e-mail.
    Dell can't change the way a program responds. You did exactly what you
    should do. You let your wallet do the talking. If you want to rant at
    someone, I'd suggest a letter to McAfee about the crap they sell. If you
    hated the AV software, be glad you didn't try the firewall they provide....
    ;-)

    Hank Arnold, Apr 20, 2004
  14. SMF

    Pat Conover Guest

    Thanks!

    Pat Conover
    Remove *nospam* to e-mail me.
    *nospam*

    Pat Conover, Apr 20, 2004
  15. /ANY/ software firewall is a very bad idea...

    Thomas G. Marshall, Apr 20, 2004
  16. SMF

    S.Lewis Guest

    Better than standing naked in the middle of the street begging for someone
    to sniff your ports.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Apr 20, 2004
  17. SMF

    Jim Gunn Guest

    A well designed software firewall like ZoneAlarm is a good idea if you
    have either one pc or multiple pc's on a LAN in conjunction with the
    firewall in your router.

    Jim Gunn, Apr 21, 2004
  18. SMF

    Hank Arnold Guest

    Hank Arnold, Apr 21, 2004
  19. SMF

    brane_ded Guest

    FWIW...when I got my Dell (a year ago) the ONLY problem I had was
    McAfee wouldn't update and suggested reloading the program.
    I had NSW Pro 2003 and loaded that instead.(10.50 at a Yahoo store,
    ComputerSystems2go)

    I had McAfee in my old HP (7 yrs ago)...got rid of that also.

    brane_ded, Apr 21, 2004