Commodore 64 to Turion 64

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Serhan Ogan, Dec 21, 2008.

  1. Serhan Ogan

    Serhan Ogan Guest

    I am a PC user since commodore 64 and recently purchased a Laptop with
    AMD Turion 64 x2 2.0.

    It was interesting to see how much they evolved since then. From a
    machine that you can play games to a portable and a very expensive lap
    heather.

    It is a Toshiba Satellite A210 running Vista 32 with
    Ati Radeon 2600 256Mb and 4Gb DDR2 RAM.

    I ran some system self checks and diagnostics after encountering
    multiple crashes. Nothing Even a system restore did no good.

    And I tested the core temperature of the processors with some
    shareware software and here is what I have got:

    Under Power Saver mode : 52 to 53 Celcius
    Under Balanced mode : 80 to 95 Celcius
    Under Maximum Performance: 95 to 110 Celcius
    (Celcius Not Fahrenheit!)
    And then BUM! dead freeze.(Processor HALT I guess)

    Well the fan goes crazy trying to pass out the enormous heat as the
    core temp rises as soon as I run applications in High Performance
    mode. If I pause the game the fan catches up with the heat.

    Is this some kind of a cooking device?

    Serhan Ogan, Dec 21, 2008

  2. Serhan Ogan

    Paul Guest

    In terms of the technical issues -

    (Picture of A210/A215 interior)
    http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/toshiba-satellite-a215/big/toshiba-satellite-a215-12.jpg

    the cooling assembly is in the upper left. The same cooler
    may be used to cool the Turion processor and the Radeon 2600.
    The fins on the heatsink are short and don't have a lot of
    surface area. Heat is moved from the hot components, with
    heat pipe (vapor phase cooling). The fan has a relatively
    short air path, and the fins are next to the exhaust
    port.

    It is up to the manufacturer to provide a cooling
    solution that works when both the CPU and the GPU (video)
    are emitting heat. Either the exhaust port is blocked, the
    intake is blocked, or perhaps a heat pipe is not working
    properly. If the warranty is valid, perhaps you can
    follow up with Toshiba.

    Once the temperature exceeds a certain value, the processor
    is designed to turn off the computer. So the processor
    has a thermal protection. The protection is called THERMTRIP.

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 21, 2008

  3. Serhan Ogan

    amabo karab Guest