    prevent me from doing so. If that does not work what do I have to look
    for to get a compatible LCD?

    Thanks

    hufaunder, Nov 15, 2006

  2. assuming that this is a follow up for your 11/14/2006 thread about a bad
    screen on your inspiron 8600....
    you would need a new video card in addition to the screen. a far simpler
    solution to your flaky backlight problem would be to have it repaired.
    these people (below) will do it for a very reasonable price, under $150.
    they would also be happy sell you the bulb (about $20) but i warn you that
    it is far more difficult to replace than you might imagine. not because of
    how delicate the bulb and the soldering is but because of the assembly of
    the layers of plastic reflectors that comprise the screen... when they are
    disturbed the screen will not look right.
    http://www.moniserv.com/

    Christopher Muto, Nov 15, 2006

  3. RE: "you would need a new video card in addition to the screen"

    Possibly, but not necessarily. Depends on the design of the particular
    laptop. And sometimes "different video card" = "different motherboard"

    Barry Watzman, Nov 15, 2006
  4. hufaunder

    S.Lewis Guest

    And sometimes *any* video card (versus integrated video) = different
    motherboard.

    S.Lewis, Nov 15, 2006
  5. the 8600 was offered with essentially two different video cards. one was
    the nvidia geforce fx go (in versions with 32, 64, and 128mb) and the ati
    radeon mobility 9600. my memory tells me that higher resolution wuxga
    screen required the top of the line card. but perhaps i am thinking of an
    earlier inspiron in the 8000 series that had that issue. but that aside, i
    still think my initial suggestion of getting the current display repaired
    makes the most sense and will be the most economical solution that is
    certain to work.

    Christopher Muto, Nov 16, 2006
  6. hufaunder

    S.Lewis Guest

    Ain't hatin', brother. Sounds solid to me.

    S.Lewis, Nov 16, 2006
  7. stew, i didn't take it that way. barry just got me questioning my previous
    statement so i wanted to clarify. regards,

    Christopher Muto, Nov 16, 2006