    rusty on the current technology.

    TIA,

    Steven

    Steven Hilgendorf, Jan 27, 2007

  2. Steven Hilgendorf

    Paul Guest

    Asus has a product comparison page. This is the result for your two choices.
    The server is currently slow to respond to this.

    http://usa.asus.com/products_compare_show.aspx?array_model=1178&array_model=1347

    This is the product comparison page. This throws an error in IE, but
    still renders. The page doesn't work right in Firefox, so don't bother
    trying it there. There is a limit as to how many models you can compare
    at one time.

    http://www.asus.com.tw/products_compare.aspx?l1=3&l2=-1

    Anandtech has reviews of current P965 boards. And Newegg has
    customer reviews of the various products, so you can get an idea
    of product quality.

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 27, 2007

  3. Steven Hilgendorf

    knott Guest

    dont but the p5b-e it is not an atx
    board.

    knott, Jan 28, 2007
  4. Please explain? The ASUS product comparison URL that Paul provided
    above lists BOTH the P5B and P5B-E as ATX form factor?

    Steven

    Steven Hilgendorf, Jan 28, 2007
  5. Steven Hilgendorf

    Paul Guest

    He is complaining about the dimensions listed. ATX is officially
    12" x 9.6". Many motherboard makers cheat on one dimension.
    Generally speaking, the cheaper a motherboard is, the narrower it
    gets. Some are as small as 12" x 7.4". That causes issues for the
    mounting holes, meaning instead of getting to use nine mounting
    posts and screws, you only get to use six of them. The worst part,
    is the edge of the motherboard is not supported. While you
    can remedy that by making a DIY support for the edge of the board,
    it isn't very convenient. And not a lot of fun if you had to
    build 100 systems in a hurry.

    In this case, the motherboard dimensions are only correctly listed
    in the downloadable user manual. So download the manual to get the
    info.

    They also cheat on microATX boards. Microatx is 9.6" x 9.6",
    but again, one dimension can be narrower, like 9.6" x 7.4".

    One way to shrink the boards, is to take a chipset that is capable
    of driving four DIMM slots, and only putting two DIMM slots on the
    motherboard. That can save enough real estate to allow shaving
    one dimension of the motherboard. They cannot shave both dimensions,
    because then it would really "flap in the breeze".

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 28, 2007
  6. Oh heck, that's what he means by "not an atx board." A slightly out of
    spec PCB is one of the last things I worry about in a mainboard :eek:)

    Thanks for the info,

    Steven

    Steven Hilgendorf, Jan 28, 2007