    exelemation point. Before I give it back to the guy I want it working at
    100% so he doesn't have trouble down the road and come crying to me. If
    anyone can point me in the right direction it'll be mucc appreciated.

    Harry Edwards, Dec 14, 2003

  2. Harry Edwards

    Alinator Guest

    This may help clairfy things a bit. In order to save mother board real
    estate, the video and northbridge are integrated onto the Cyberblade i7, the
    southbridge (of which the PCI to ISA bridge is part), audio, and several
    other functions are integrated onto the VT82C686A.

    Here's a link to the VIA download page for the 686A:

    http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=328

    As I recall, the last time I tried doing a clean install of 98 from a retail
    copy (rather than use the Compaq restore features) on my 1200 XL 118, I had
    hardware issues until I updated with the VIA drivers. This may resolve the
    conflict and allow Windows to detect the other southbridge components
    correctly.

    Another possibility would be to get the Quick Restore CD set from Compaq. If
    the unit you're working on is like mine, if you wiped the drive without
    backing up the System Save partition first, you lost all the drivers and
    install files Compaq provided. As I understand it, the Quick Restore CD set
    lets you get around this problem.

    HTH,

    Alinator

    Alinator, Dec 16, 2003

  3. Nope. that driver didn't work. I'm not buying anything from Compaq. I'm
    just going to let it go. The computer is working fine for now and I'll
    tell the guy he shoudl ebay this thing and get rid of it ASAP... let it
    be somebody else's problem.

    Harry Edwards, Dec 17, 2003
  4. Harry Edwards

    Alinator Guest

    LOL, that's certainly one solution guaranteed to work. :)

    The only other thing I can think of to try (and I assume you already did)
    would be to manually remove it from Device Manager and let Windows redetect
    it on reboot.

    Alinator

    Alinator, Dec 17, 2003