    The cpu is a Athlon 900mhz

    Any help would be appreciated
    Jim

    Woodbutcher, Feb 6, 2004

  2. Woodbutcher

    HH Guest

    You can put up to a 256MB DIMM in each of the 3 DIMM slots for a max of
    768MB. It came with a 64MB DIMM in slot one. Compaq has no drivers for XP
    for your model on their website. XP may have them already except for the
    modem, which it likely does not have. You could always pull the Compaq modem
    and install a 3rd party one that comes with XP drivers.

    HH

    HH, Feb 6, 2004

  3. Woodbutcher

    DARTORREY Guest

    According to www.crucial.com your system will take 768MB of ram.

    http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr+Productline=Compaq+Pres
    ario.&mfr=Compaq&cat=RAM&model=Presario+5000+Series+Model+5WV271.&submit=Go

    I have the same system with 640MB (2 x 256MB and 1 x 128MB) but I'm running Win
    ME on it.

    Your box should run fine with Win XP, but I would max out the ram at 768MB to
    run it. XP uses a lot of ram.

    My XP home built box has 1.25GB of ram.

    Darrin

    DARTORREY, Feb 6, 2004
  4. Woodbutcher

    Woodbutcher Guest

    Thanks so much for the response and the heads up on the modem
    Jim

    Woodbutcher, Feb 6, 2004
  5. Woodbutcher

    Woodbutcher Guest

    Thanks for the response and the link.
    Jim

    Woodbutcher, Feb 6, 2004
  6. Woodbutcher

    HH Guest

    I've had excellent results with an Intel (Ambient) chipset PCI modem. It's
    available for $10.95 at http://www.axiontech.com
    HH

    HH, Feb 6, 2004