Compaq 5000 series fresh install problem

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Tony, Feb 28, 2005.

  1. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Hi everybody,

    I made a fresh system for some friends.
    Formated the 40gb drive NTFS Logical (I:) and active (H:) all ok.
    Installed Windows XP Pro on first partition on the designated H: drive
    label as I installed it on my running system (MSI-platform)
    I formed the boot.ini as prescribed 0,0,0,1 blabla...
    Then I attached it to the IDE0 and set it as master and it boots and runs
    smoothly.
    The software needed for them was installed and a fresh restart was perfect
    !

    Now the tricky part ;
    I put it in the Compaq system 5028BE with latest BIOS flashed 128 mb ram
    on a UWAVE 786K1-platform in the IDE0 as master.
    Set up the rigt bootorder in BIOS and restarted. It detects the disk in
    the IDE but doesn't start up the OS...
    'error loading operating system'

    Very strange error keeping in mind that on another platform with the same
    settings it runs smoothly...

    Help is on the way ?

    ps: Don't try to convince me not buying Compaq syss because I'll never
    will ;-)

    Tony, Feb 28, 2005

  2. Tony

    Brian Guest

    If I understand your description correctly then it sounds
    like it might be a related problem to the one I'm having,
    see the thread "booting Presario 5330 from an ATA/133 card".

    Not that that helps either of us... :-(

    Brian.

    Brian, Mar 1, 2005

  3. Sounds like you installed the OS in one machine and then moved the
    drive to another machine. No wonder it won't boot the OS. Try
    installing the OS on the machine you want to use it on.

    returnoftheyeti, Mar 1, 2005
  4. Tony

    Tony Guest

    I'll do that - dough I wonder what settings are different in the OS as
    installed on the disk except for the hardware settings what can be altered
    by cab files located on the disk ?
    since I'm a bit booby forgive me.

    Tony, Mar 2, 2005