compaq 5080us frozen splash screen

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by paul, Sep 13, 2004.

  1. paul

    paul Guest

    I have a Compaq 5080US which is just sitting at the red logo splash
    screen. When it powers up the keyboard lights come on for a second
    and the floppy lights up for a second but it does not appear to try to
    boot from the floppy nor the hard drive. Pressing F1, F10,
    CTRL-ALT-DELETE have no effect. I've put a bootable floppy in, and it
    stays at the logo screen.

    I connected the hard drive to another computer and it appears good
    (two partitions have files on both partitions). Does anyone have a
    map of this motherboard so that I can verify that I have the IDE cable
    plugged into the right connector?

    I've replaced the cpu, AND the motherboard (if you believe that) and
    tested with another power supply. I'm getting identical behavior.
    I'm stumped with this one. the only thing I can think of is it
    requires a mouse to boot but I would expect an error message after the
    splash screen. I've also pulled the CMOS battery for several minutes.

    Does anyone have any ideas?

    paul, Sep 13, 2004

  2. How many beeps from the POST? That should tell you if it is a preOS
    hardware loading error.

    KC

    Kevin Childers, Sep 13, 2004