    least). Is this card able to be put with this motherboard? What
    exactly does this error message mean? Compaq tech support won't tell
    me. Thank you.

    ARFF1Tampa, Feb 11, 2006

  2. ARFF1Tampa

    HH Guest

    The AGP slot on the 5430US is 4X. Is the newer GeForce card 4X compatible or
    is it an 8X only card?

    HH

    HH, Feb 11, 2006

  3. ARFF1Tampa

    dannysdailys Guest

    ARFF1Tampawrote
    I have a Compaq 5430 US with a geforce 4400ti graphics card an
    tried to upgrade to a geforce 6200 256 AGP. The card and drivers wor
    but I get a 101- Option ROM Checksum Error (Add -in card not workin
    properly) error upon bootup. I have the default 5430US motherboard
    and a 250Watt power supply which the tech support for the new car
    mentioned as might be part of the problem (might need 350 watts a
    least). Is this card able to be put with this motherboard? Wha
    exactly does this error message mean? Compaq tech support won't tel
    me. Thank you

    It's possible your PSU isn't up to the task. But, depending on wha
    else you're running in there, I would think it would work with
    6200. If you have mutilple hard drives, try unplugging all but th
    boot drive. Hard drives are probably the largest current draw in th
    box

    Having an Intel smokestack doesn't help either, but at 1.8, i
    shouldn't be that much of a draw

    Also, if this 6200 card has a second power connector, is it plugge
    in? This is very common and I've even done that one. Only my car
    would work fine until you gamed with it; then it would go black.
    Took me two weeks to figure that one out. LO

    Another problem I've had in the past: Try popping the card out and pu
    it back in. Compaq AGP sockets are notorious for allowing cards t
    seat wrong. I even had one break just by pulling a card out, they'r
    very cheapo, so be careful. Make sure she seats correctly

    If all that fails, I'd try the card in another machine to make sur
    the card is good. Bad ones will usually go bad right away

    Also, I'm assuming you uninstalled your old video setup befor
    installing the new one. You must have it out of Windows completely

    If it comes down to the PSU, I'm not certain what you'll be able to d
    about it. You can't just buy any Power Supply for a Compaq. A
    least, that was always the case before. The case cutout for it i
    different. This is Compaq/ Hp's way of making you buy Compaq parts.
    Better yet, to throw the computer out and buy a new one

    They may, or may not, offer a PSU in your cases configuation, the siz
    of what you need. Chances are they don't, that's why it's prudent t
    stay away from propietary computers to begin with. But, it's wort
    the phone call

    A way around that is simple however. Buy a standard case/ powe
    supply combination, and slip the computer into that case. You ma
    find that solution to be cheaper then buying a Compaq PSU; if the
    even have one. Plus, you'll be on a road of standardized parts.
    That never hurts. I had to do that once over a similar issue an
    I've never looked back. I build all my machines now, thanks in larg
    part to that Compaq screwing me out of parts readily available

    By the way, that old Compaq in a standard case is still in service.
    It would have been dead years ago had I not done that

    Best of luck to you

    dannysdailys, Feb 11, 2006
  4. ARFF1Tampa

    FuzzyRev

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Compaq 5430US

    Having similar problem - power supply died and unwilling to spend $200 for Compaq replacement! However, am having difficulties with pinouts on board ... since the Compaq case used only Power, Power LED and HDD LED , I've been playing hit and miss. Of course, that was further complicated by running into another dead power supply as well.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    FuzzyRev, Mar 14, 2007