Compaq Armada m300 XGA lcd upgrade replacement works

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Fritz, May 8, 2004.

  1. Fritz

    Fritz Guest

    There have been many posts/questions in the past, with no answer, on
    whether or not you can replace an SVGA (800x600) lcd screen on the
    m300 with an XGA (1024x768) screen. Nor is there any information on
    the web, afaik.

    I am posting this message to let others know that I have done it
    sucessfully, without much trouble.

    The XGA screen comes in 11.3" and 12.1" sizes, and I (personally)
    upgraded my m300 from the 11.3" to the 12.1" screen (the whole bezel
    AND lcd). The diff with the screen sizes is fairly significant. The
    12.1" bezel is a bit taller--the latch lies past the edge of the base
    when closed (about 1cm, prob less). I also had to trim some of the
    plastic from the hinges (~2mm on each side, with a razor) to get the
    bezel to fit on the base. It doesn't fit as flush as the 11.3" bezel,
    but doesn't look bad. I'll probably have to come up with a way to
    keep it shut (velcro?).. but that doesn't bother me much.
    The data/power connectors were the same (though the colors of the
    power wires were in different positions). After plugging the screen
    in, and rebooting (using XP), it worked flawlessly without need for
    reconfiguration. I didn't eve need to go into the display properties
    (but I previously had it set to pan-scan in 1024x768). I already had
    the latest BIOS upgrade as well.

    I don't know if you can go from 11.3" SVGA to 11.3" XGA, but I
    seriously doubt there would be any trouble in doing so.

    (p.s. I do not check my Yahoo email address, sorry)

    Fritz, May 8, 2004