Compaq Armada M700 battery problem

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by JJ, Jan 14, 2005.

  1. JJ

    JJ Guest

    Bought a new (but not genuine Compaq) battery for my M700 on eBay.

    First thing I noticed when I opened the parcel was a strange odor. I
    put this down to the usual "new electronic component odor" if you see
    what I mean. I tried to charge it and the charge light came on. About
    an hour later the charge light turned off.

    However, it doesn't boot from the battery, and the charge light no
    longer comes on.

    There's also a buzzing noise when this battery is installed. Windows
    shows "no battery present"

    Is it more likely the battery is duff or did the "charging unit" of
    the laptop kill the battery? Sounds unlikely to be the latter, but is
    it possible? It's had a non-working battery in for a while and I used
    it plugged into the mains.

    I've e-mailed the seller, but had no reply as yet. The seller has good
    feedback.

    JJ, Jan 14, 2005

  2. JJ

    Paul Guest

    Had exactly the same symptoms on my m700 recently including the
    buzzing noise and charging but no boot.

    I also suspected a charging unit failure, but its now working again
    with a replacement battery, so it sounds to me like ur battery is
    faulty.

    Paul, Jan 18, 2005