    to the hinge slot in the main casing, as though the screen were being tilted
    backwards, the computer clicks and powers down. any ideas?

    thanks in advance...

    Andrew Widgery, Apr 11, 2006

  2. Andrew Widgery

    Rob Hemmings Guest

    It sounds like the switch that detects the closing of the lid is
    broken and is operating when you move the screen. You
    may be able to get a replacement switch; If not, see if you
    can disconnect it from the motherboard - if the contacts
    are normally open when the lid is open, this will effectively
    disable it. If the contacts are normally closed when the lid
    is open, you'll need to short the two pins on the motherboard
    using a jumper etc to disable it. If you do go this way,
    remember that it will no longer automatically switch off when
    the lid is closed.
    It's also possible that the motherboard has developed a
    broken PCB track, but that would be very hard to fix
    unless you can physically see it using a magnifying glass etc.,
    in which case a conductive pen would probably fix it.
    Many parts for the M700 can be found here:
    http://www.laptopbits.co.uk/Database_files/Armada_M700_All_Other_parts.htm
    HTH

    Rob Hemmings, Apr 12, 2006