    of the components. Will a non-compaq mobo fit in the case or will that
    too have to go in the skip?

    Dan

    Dan Marchant, Jul 23, 2003

  2. Dan Marchant

    HH Guest

    From the Compaq FAQ, reposted to the newgroup each week.
    Q) Can I put a different motherboard in my Compaq?
    A) Yes, but not really. The problems would be many, including:
    1. Physical layout. Finding one with the same Input/output connector layout
    at the back would be very difficult.
    2. Onboard connectors. The front panel wires for the onn/off switch and hard
    disk/power LEDs go to a single connector designed to fit the pins on the
    current board. So, unless you feel comfortable cracking connectors or
    re-splicing wires, don't try it.
    3. Power Supply connectors on earlier models may be proprietary.
    So, generally speaking for most users, the board is NOT easily upgradeable.

    HH

    HH, Jul 23, 2003

  3. Dan Marchant

    the yeti Guest

    I just swapped out a MB on a 5461
    This was no problem
    This sucked, I just used a plug I had laying around, hacked it to
    pieces with a razor blade and did the splice thing. Only the power
    switch works now, the HDD and Power lights are not hooked up.
    No problem here

    The way the case was set up sucked for the new board, the processor
    was right under the HD cage and so was the IDE connectors. Routing
    the cables and trying to get airflow was interesting at best, but it
    works again.

    the yeti, Jul 24, 2003
  4. Dan Marchant

    [NL]Sandman Guest

    I have the same problem here.
    Used the compaq case of the 5726 with another motherboard, that worked
    fine (used also a razor blade to splice the connector)but now I wan't
    to place back the compaq motherboard and I get stuck with the power
    button connector.
    The only thing I know is how to trace back where each colord wire
    stands for, I don't have any clue where the pins on the board stands
    for.

    Compaq don't give that info and the original board manifacture Mitac
    does'nt store any compaq info.

    Can you give me some tips?

    Grtzzz mr.sandman

    [NL]Sandman, Jul 25, 2003
  5. Dan Marchant

    Rick Guest

    If it's the same board as my 5000A (5BWM21N, which is a Mitac
    6513WU), here's the pinout for J10:

    J10

    Pins
    3-4 Suspend LED
    5-6 HDD LED
    11-13 Power LED
    15-16 Power button

    RickW

    Rick, Jul 25, 2003
  6. Dan Marchant

    [NL]Sandman Guest

    I think it's the same board, my connector is also called j10

    Thank you very much!!!

    [NL]Sandman, Jul 25, 2003
  7. Dan Marchant

    Rick Guest

    Sandman, I just checked the 6513WU manual against my 5000A
    board and the above chart isn't valid. If the above configuration
    doesn't work, here's what it is on mine:

    Suspend LED - None
    HDD LED - Pin 5 (White) Pin 6 (Red)
    Power LED - Pin 3 (Black) Pin 4 (Yellow) Pin 12 (Green)
    Power button - Pin 15 (Orange) Pin 16 (Blue)

    J10 is a 20-pin connector, pin 1 is on the top right corner as
    viewed from the front of the computer.

    RickW

    Rick, Jul 26, 2003
  8. Dan Marchant

    Dan Marchant Guest

    <replies various snipped>

    Thanks for the response HH (and others who responded). Given that I
    would most likely slice off a finder I will keep the compaq as a server
    with an old drive and just buy a new case.

    Dan

    Dan Marchant, Jul 27, 2003
  9. Dan Marchant

    HH Guest