Compaq Deskpro EN ??? Help Please - NTLDR is missing

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Mark, Jan 3, 2005.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Help Please, I have two older units and have had nothing but problems

    1: How do I find out what model they are, all I know is that they are: P
    III CPU 1Gig mhz

    2: Bios: 686P2 Ver 2.11

    I have tried a number of options including working drives but can only get a
    single error when ever the PC attempts to boot.

    NTLDR is missing

    Press any key to restart....

    I can boot from the XP cd, but the above errot appears on the restart or
    even if I put in a good working system.

    I looked at upgrading the Bios, but not able to confirm exactly which model
    I have, see point 1: above. I have also tried to make the 3 Compaq boot
    disks, and while they look OK they will not work...

    Help, I am going crazy.... These two unit were for my kids to do their
    school work on and school is only 2 weeks away...

    Frustrated Father.

    TIA

    Mark, Jan 3, 2005

  2. Mark

    Ben Myers Guest

    Start at the beginning. To get into the BIOS setup of a DeskPro EN, power up
    the computer and hold down the F10 key. After the system counts up its memory,
    the BIOS setup will pop up. You can check all the settings there, especially
    the hard disk info, because that seems to be where the problems are.

    I will also guess that the systems need replacements for their 3v lithium C2032
    coin-sized batteries, about $5 for a pair at Walmart. A failed or failing
    battery often gives strange symptoms.

    After you've verified BIOS CMOS settings and replaced the batteries, if the
    systems won't install XP properly, post another message here. There are a few
    things you can do to get an install to go properly.

    Do you have unique Certificate of Authentication codes for Windows for BOTH
    computers? Are you installing XP Home or XP Pro? How much memory do these
    systems have? If less than 256MB, upgrade the memory.

    A BIOS update won't help much to solve the problems here, even if one is
    available... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 3, 2005

  3. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clear to the bone and
    ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) said
    The fix was to understand that Compaq do thing just a little diferent
    :-( Picked this up in an archived post somewhere in with a lot of other
    questions.

    The HD I was using was a 20gig and had been used before with two
    partitions... No problem, for the other PC's that I tested it in....

    Compaq however would allow me to boot from CD or from the FDD and see the
    20 gig in all it's glory but not boot from it ????

    ANSWER: The Compaq bios makes it's own assesment of the drive and LBA etc
    etc.... Thus it was not seen at boot up as a drive with data on it...

    OUTCOME: Save all my data to another drive ( Like I have plenty ...... NOT)
    and then XP boot CD with a full clean install.... That is delete all
    partitions and start afresh.... the Compaq way..

    Mark

    Mark, Jan 3, 2005
  4. Mark

    HH Guest

    HH, Jan 3, 2005
  5. Mark

    Ben Myers Guest

    It's not just a Compaq problem. Many BIOSes on older pre-Pentium 4 motherboards
    do different things with hard drives than one another. Now that there are only
    two major motherboard BIOS companies in the world (Phoenix and AMI), there is a
    lot more standardization and drives are almost always 100% readable when moved
    from system to system.

    As a general rule to avoid this sort of problem in the future, scrub a drive
    clean when installing a fresh operating system. Delete all partitions, create
    new ones, reformat... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 3, 2005