Compaq DV9000 notebook - This is for a friend - help

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Postman Delivers, Mar 15, 2010.

  1. Having horrid time trying to restore a crashed Vista in this system.

    Have three Recovery disks from HP (2 sets first set did not work): 1of2,
    and 2of2, and a driver disk.

    I have tried to use the recovery disks almost a dozen times but the
    install always fails.

    Yet I can install a 32 or 64-bit Linux, I find Mepis 8.0.15 runs fast in
    this notebook, and AntiX is very very fast. Every version of Linux I try
    runs well with the one exception: sound does not work but that is an
    Intel problem of not providing the Linux drivers for every sound chip
    they produce, as they do for Microsoft Operating Systems. Eventually a
    work around will be released for all the different permeations of the
    Intel sound chip, and this Notebook will have sound running almost any
    Linux out of the box.

    I had to start running Dban on the Sata drives (Two Drives) as the
    recovery disks are only good for one try, or they come up with errors
    early in the recovery. Seems the Recovery disks are not formatting the
    hard drives correctly.

    I purchased a new 320GB drive, and using this drive the recovery seems to
    go farther in the recovery process, than the error less 160Gb drives, tis
    a 4 hours of wait and see, nonsense game...

    Linux installs and runs fast all except sound on either of the 160GB
    drives, or the 320Gb drive. I put both of the 160GB drives in a desktop
    using an adapter, and installed WinXP home and Linux easily in a AMD x3,
    BioStar motherboard the system dual boots on both of these drives without
    any hesitation.

    I ran into a number of others having problems using HP's recovery disks,
    seem there are a good number of workarounds that i have not been able to
    accomplish yet. I do not have a generic Vista install disk to see if
    that makes a difference, only a recovery disk set.

    My friend the owner of this notebook only used it to play movies. When
    the operating system failed he put it into the closet and purchased a
    portable Movie DVD player. But he has discovered Netflick downloads with
    their proprietary Microsoft only movie system and wants Vista Media
    Center working again on this system.

    I can not believe users had to find a way to cheat using the HP Vista
    recovery disks. Was this only some notebooks, or a widespread problem?

    Quote:  "Hi guys, since it appears others are still running into this
    issue I will tell you what I've done to workaround the problem.

    First of all, yes, HP's recovery discs only work so far and then, after
    several hours of FBI process installations, the whole thing dies. Both
    sets of factory discs resulted in the same problems.

    To fix this myself, rather than send in my new machine, I advise that you
    purchase a copy of Acronis True Image and have an external USB drive that
    is at least 6 or 8 gigs. (not sure exactly). this can include an ipod, a
    high capacity thumb drive, or an external hard drive, etc.

    1. run the hp factory recovery disc
    2. once it has completed and booted into vista, you'll notice the fbi
    process (there are actually two processes)
    3. I would let it run for an hour or so, maybe two. the thing is you don't
    want it to get to the horrible point where you can no longer boot into
    vista, but you want it to get as close to that point as possible. It took
    me a couple tries, but I got it at a reasonable point.
    4. Once you've figured out a point before the fbi thing will completely
    screw you, you need to do the following:
    5. Ctrl+Alt+Delete: bring up task manager and KILL KILL KILL both FBI
    processes.
    6. Go into your C:>Program Files and there should be a folder called FBI
    or something similar. (it's been a few weeks and I cannot remember
    exactly).
    RENAME this folder.
    NOTE: now you can reboot and the fbi processes will no longer autorun. You
    are safe to take as long as you want to complete the remaining steps.
    8. You're gonna want to go into your Device Manager and figure out what
    devices are still not installed properly. Then visit your HP support page
    and download the pertinent drivers.
    9. Once you've installed all the devices and everything seems to work
    great, I suggest rebooting and, let Microsoft run it's auto update on the
    OS or whatever, then use the bootable True Image disc. Here's what to do.
    You'll need a sizable usb drive (at least 6 gigs, maybe even larger, not
    sure)
    10. insert the thumb drive and the acronis true image boot disc and boot
    up from the disk.
    11. Select the option of backing up your partition
    12. Proceed through the process and save the image onto your usb drive
    13. I would take the time now to verify that your image is fine
    14. Now you are free do whatever else you want to your laptop, expand your
    drives, and you will always have a fall back option that AVOIDS
    HP FACTORY RESTORE DISCS.

    Good luck everyone. If you have questions, post them here. I am monitoring
    the thread."
    End Quote

    Is there any way to do a md5sum check on the disks, or a CRC check on the
    disks?

    Quote:" found a workaround too :)

    After running this never ending installation for an hour or two, I just
    opened the second disc (applications and drivers recovery) provided by
    HP. There is only one directory "Patch" on this disk. Select your OS type
    (x86 or x64) and just double-click the .bat file placed in the
    appropriate directory. I have no clue what it does, but after this FBI
    dies itself and windows loads normally :)"
    End Quote

    OK, have 2 hours more for dban to run before trying again... anyone have
    another solution, I have the time to keep trying but seems crazy that HP
    has allowed this Vista recovery disk problem to continue since 2008...

    JR the postman

    Postman Delivers, Mar 15, 2010

  2. Postman Delivers

    Ben Myers Guest

    So much for the wonderful concept of making your own recovery disks. I
    say to hell with the recovery disks. You need a copy of the version of
    Vista install that matches the product key on the bottom of the DV9000.
    After that, you need drivers for the damned thing. I would expect HP
    to have Vista drivers for the DV9000 as free downloads on their web
    site. If not, you have to fish around for drivers, which should not be
    all that hard to find given HP's reliance on commodity mainstream
    chips... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 15, 2010

  3. These two recovery disks sets are new from HP, they are not the genre of
    you have one chance to make your own recovery disks.

    How do I determine the Vista install that matches the product key on the
    bottom of the DV9700. It is an OEM version, and has a few number other
    than the serial number on the COA

    Mt error on the model number it is a DV9700

    JR the postman

    Postman Delivers, Mar 15, 2010
  4. Postman Delivers

    Ben Myers Guest

    I am neither a Vista fan nor deeply knowledgeable in Vista lore, so I
    looked it up. According to Microsoft, the various versions of Vista
    (good alliteration?) are Home Basic, Home Premium, Business and
    Ultimate. The Micro$oft sticker with product key should have one of
    these phrases after it.

    FWIW, one of the web sites selling the DV9000 advertises it with Vista
    Home Premium... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 16, 2010
  5. * * *
    Ben,

    Sunlight makes a large difference, looking at the label: Windows Vista
    Ultimate OEMct...

    Neither am I excited about all the hoops I am being forced to jump
    through to reinstall the original Operating System "Vista".

    The computer appears to be operating well have been running 64-bit Mepis
    liveCD most of the morning. Tis a quick notebook, monitor is crisp and
    easy on the eyes, but a bit on the small size for these old eyes...

    Since i am getting so many errors with a Vista recovery thought I should
    put some time on the clock to check the system. The CD/DVD drive is good
    enough to run a LiveCD for 7 hours, would presume it is reading
    correctly...

    I added a USB 2.0 hard drive and wrote a large folder to and from the
    hard drives using the live CD... Must be two bad sets of the HP Vista
    Recovery Disks...

    JR the postman

    Postman Delivers, Mar 16, 2010
  6. * * *

    Ben,

    The latest update on the HP DV9700 operating install:

    after dbanning the new hard drive 3 more times, and attempting to use the
    HP supplied recovery disks, I was able to secure an anytime upgrade 32-
    bit Vista disk, and was able to install Vista rapidly starting with a
    TinyXP install...

    I do not have a serial number for the upgrade disk or a better phrase is:
    the COA # does not work with this upgrade disk (I have three days to
    activate).

    But fortunately I now know the Laptop/Notebook computer is ok, with the
    Microsoft operating system as it was with Linux. Being able to install
    Vista Ultimate and the hardware drivers easily and immediately has
    solidly proved it is only the HP Recovery disks or recovery process is
    the crux of the problem.

    The Vista Ultimate took 1.5 hours, and not the 5 hour install from either
    set of recovery disks received from HP for this system, that always fail
    to install Vista.

    The Update Vista disk, started and rebooted 4 times, but the recovery
    disk starts and reboot about 22 times before it fails... Why HP has
    created this monstrosity three disk set that can not install the original
    operating system is completely beyond my understanding.

    JR

    Postman Delivers, Mar 25, 2010
  7. Postman Delivers

    Ben Myers Guest

    The recovery DVD nonsense is not just HPaq. Lenovo has the same
    silliness, as I learned recently with a lovely Lenovo T500 I set up for
    a client. (Toshiba and Acer-eGateMachinesWay have recovery media, too.)
    I much prefer the Dell approach of giving buyers a true Windows
    install DVD/CD (albeit disguised with a "reinstallation" label) plus
    additional CDs for drivers, utilities, misc crapware applications, etc.
    VERY straightforward.

    All I can imagine is that either HPaq and Lenovo have some sort of
    contractual obligations with Microbloat to do these recovery DVDs or
    maybe they need to continue employing a small army of the deranged
    software designers and programmers to develop these things. It makes no
    sense whatsoever.

    BTW, if you ever come across the Dell reinstallation DVD that matches
    the product key on your system, you can install it on any name-brand
    computer, then change the product key with KeyFinder, and it will
    activate perfectly. (After installing the hardware drivers, of course.)
    Windows 7 is ever so slightly better because Microsoft FINALLY built
    into its product its own legit mechanism to change the product key! ...
    Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 31, 2010