compaq presario 1200-xl109 and Netgear FA511

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Dauphin Vert, Jan 31, 2006.

  1. Dauphin Vert

    Dauphin Vert Guest

    hello,
    i am trying to install a Netgear FA511 Network adapter
    on my old compaq presario 1200-xl 109.
    as soon as the PC card is in the slot, then the PC freeze and I get a
    blue screen.
    after removing the card, I have to shut down the PC and to switch in
    again.
    I have performed a " complete system restoration "; then, again after
    inserting the FA511 card, still a blue screen and the freeze !!

    my PC has a 64 Mo Ram and is loaded with Windows 98SE 4.10. as
    available early 2000.

    thanks for any suggestion

    michel

    Dauphin Vert, Jan 31, 2006

  2. Dauphin Vert

    Quaoar Guest

    Install the driver/software before inserting the card the first time.
    Win9x does not have native drivers so the card must have a specific
    driver for Win98; sometimes these are in a separate folder on the
    installation disk. I am *assuming* that a notebook of that vintage has
    32-bit PC-Card support - you should verify this. Have you successfully
    installed any other cards in the PC-Card slot? Check Device Manager and
    verify that the PC-Card hardware drivers (some vendor name PC-Card
    Controller in the PCMCIA section) are installed and working properly.

    Quaoar, Feb 2, 2006