    The other thing I am considering, is running Windows 2000 on it. Has
    anyone done this and does it run OK on the Compaq Presario 1270 which
    is a AMD-K6(tm)-2/ at 350 Mhz. Thanks!

    East Coast, Oct 13, 2003

  2. I think it would be better to update it to Windows XP since the update is
    available whereas it will be hard to find the update to 98 SE, but you might
    have to put in more memory to handle XP. It usually takes at least 128 MB.
    But if you are set on Windows 98 SE a good computer specialty store like
    Comp USA might have it, but I can't guarantee that they will.

    Michael Naven, Oct 16, 2003

  3. You can get a full legal copy from www.epcusa.com.

    I buy used PCs and parts from them locally and they have a huge stock of
    used Compaq products. They are the clearing house for a large
    office/business machine leasing company. They receive the used equipment,
    test it and wipe the drives. Depending on the systems condition they may
    part it out as well. At present they have fully working, wiped (no OS
    installed) Compaq 350s (various models) for under $60.00. Lesser machines
    are marked as "Propeller Head Specials" and go for as low as $10.00 for 120
    Mhz and lower. Used monitors go for under $30.00 and peripherals priced
    similarly.

    SC

    Kevin Childers, Oct 16, 2003
  4. East Coast

    the yeti Guest

    The other thing I am considering, is running Windows 2000 on it. Has
    Win2k will run fine on this processor, possibly even better than
    win98se. The reason it might even run better is that it has much
    better memory management. Stuff as much RAM into that box as you can
    and you are all set.

    the yeti, Oct 16, 2003