Compaq Presario 1688 died and won't start

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Tom, Jun 19, 2004.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    This laptop has been working just fine then last week the Compaq screen
    popped up, there was a small white box in the upper right hand corner of
    the screen and the computer hung. When I restarted the computer I get
    the same Compaq screen then after a few seconds the white box appears
    again and the computer hangs. This all happens before the system boots
    do get the "press f10 to enter setup" prompt. When I press "f10" the
    screen displays the follow then hangs.

    ----------------
    Phoenix Bios 4.0 release 6.0
    Copyright 1985-1999 Phoenix Technologies
    All rights Reserved

    BIOS version 0F02.

    CPU =AMD-K6(tm)-2/400
    640k System RAM Passed
    63M Extended RAM Passed

    Entering SETUP...
    ----------------

    Any ideas how to fix this???

    Any idea what might be wrong and how to fix it?

    Tom, Jun 19, 2004

  2. Tom

    Tony Hwang Guest

    Hi,
    Looks like you system BIOS is hosed or the chip is acting up.
    How about removing the battery for the CMOS(BIOS chip) and
    reinstall it and try again.
    Tony

    Tony Hwang, Jun 19, 2004

  3. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Hi Tony,

    I removed the CMOS and main battery for a day. After reinstalling them
    the computer still hangs at the same spot. Do you have any other
    suggestions?

    Tom

    Tom, Jun 23, 2004