Compaq Presario 6000 - Base?

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Parts Manager, Jan 27, 2005.

  1. I have a Compaq Presario 6000 here that I am working with and it only has
    128mb ram ( I really thought the base systems had more than this) but that
    is what the system resources say. I cannot be sure that at one time this
    machine had more than this, just that this is what it has now. I also have
    no manual for it.

    Questions
    ----------
    Do Compaq (or this machine in particular) need any special memory type to
    upgrade, or will standard PC2100 memory from a local shop be fine? Last I
    worked on Compaqs years ago I thought they required their own special
    type/size chips to upgrade.

    How many memory slots are inside this machine (no manual and can't take
    machine apart yet) and is there any special configuration settings that
    won't work? I have to guess that there is 1 single 128mb chip and 1 extra
    slot. I am thinking of buying a single 512mb chip to get to 640mb and use
    both existing memory slots.

    Can the 128mb and a new 512mb co-exist if there is 2 memory slots?

    Thanks to all who can answer this simple question. If I told you that I
    literally cannot get inside this computer, you would laugh. I have to wait
    until I get all the information down (chip/type/etc...) and then I am going
    to take it a part one time and put it back together when finished. This is
    a very secure system. :)

    Tim

    Parts Manager, Jan 27, 2005

  2. Parts Manager

    HH Guest

    HH, Jan 28, 2005

  3. Parts Manager

    Alan Guest

    I also have a 6000 series It has two memory slots,originaly mine ha
    256mb as standard. I have just installed two 512mb cards in it and it'
    fine.I was told that this motherboard will only accept non-ecc memory
    The ecc memory will not work in it,whether this is true or not I don
    know as the cards I fitted were NON-ECC. Hope this is of some hel

    Alan, Jan 14, 2006