    do all components but something is not working correctly.

    I am baffled. Any ideas or recommendations?

    TIA

    David Ellis, May 5, 2006

  2. David Ellis

    metronid Guest

    I have about 50 million ideas.
    I do not know excatly what the statement "Compaq Presario 6000 desktop that
    would not start up " means.
    Why would anyone part with a good system if it just needed an OS
    That is of course another question

    In any case
    It will accept an OS up to the point of reboot.
    What OS?

    Are these the correct disks WITH THE CORRECT DRIVERS.

    I would try a normal Windows load(not a compaq load) if you have a CD
    Maybe Windows 98
    Actually Windows 2000 is a great test bed for operation problems.

    There is always just the possibility of a bad load.
    I have seen MB's that will run great on dos and fail Windows because of a
    board problem.
    ..

    metronid, May 6, 2006
  4. David Ellis

    David Ellis Guest

    Sorry about the lack of info. The machine came with a Windows XP Home
    setup. I bought the cd set from Compaq to perform a full system recovery
    operation. Recovery from the cd's not the recovery partition that was
    awash in virus files.

    Thanks for the hint about Won 98, I'll try that next. I am now wondering
    about the hard drive too.

    David Ellis, May 6, 2006