Compaq Presario 7470 MODEM DRIVER (help!!!)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Garrett C., May 3, 2004.

  1. Garrett C.

    Garrett C. Guest

    The only thing on the Compaq website is a crappy 180K "Modem driver
    fix" file - this is not the driver. I just reformatted a
    family's computer, but it's been three weeks that they've been
    offline, because I've spent the last two trying find a friggin' MODEM
    driver! Everything else is up to par, but I cannot find it!

    I've tried generic "56K Modem Drivers" and I also read that Compaq
    generally uses either Conexant or PCTel modems, and tried generic
    drivers for both of those chipsets and neither would detect the modem,
    I still just see "PCI Card" in the device manager. Please help me get
    this.

    I need a Windows 98SE driver for the MODEM in the Compaq Presario
    7470... if you find more than one, tell me where and I'll try them
    all - if several individuals find one each, please, anyone who can
    list them and I'll try anything I can get my hands on.

    Any and all help is appreciated,
    Garrett C.

    Garrett C., May 3, 2004

  2. Garrett C.

    Seth Guest

    give this a whirl: ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp16501-17000/sp16793.exe
    It's 1.42MB in size.

    for reference, i got it from here:
    http://www.modem-help.com/mfcs.php?mid=46&nid=6162. It has links for 3
    drivers: the fix that you mentioned, the driver i posted above and
    another thats 1.2MB in size though i havent tried the link.

    Best regards.

    Seth, May 3, 2004

  3. Garrett C.

    Aaron Guest

    I had the same problem. You have to get the modem card out, look at
    it, and write down all of the numbers on the chips that are on it.
    Look for a Rockwell chip, or Motorola, or something. Then go to
    driverguide.com with username "drivers" and password "all". Then plug
    in you numbers into search, and look around to verify that that is the
    right one. This driver problem really irked me.

    I have a problem with the System Restore CDs that manufacturers
    provide with new computers. In my opinion, they should come with an
    actual Windows disk, so that I can use upgrade editions of XP, etc.
    Then, the drivers should be on a separate disk, that will do autorun,
    and automatically install them.

    The only company I have seen do this is Gateway, and it was really
    nice when I reformatted a bunch of computers for my dad's office.
    Drivers, etc. were all there.

    Happy driver finding,
    Aaron

    Aaron, May 3, 2004
  4. Garrett C.

    Garrett C. Guest

    Thanks very much - I'll give these a shot. I won't be able to try
    until this weekend, so if more links are posted, I'll take'em! :)
    Thanks a ton for these, though, they really look like they WILL work!

    Garrett C.

    Garrett C., May 3, 2004
  5. Garrett C.

    Ron Cook Guest

    Ron Cook, May 3, 2004
  6. Garrett C.

    Garrett C. Guest

    The thought of adding new hardware had crossed my mind, but I am just
    helping the family get the computer up and running again, they live
    somewhat far out of town, so their modem only runs @ about 26K
    anyways, buying a true hardware modem wouldn't yield much change for
    them, as all they do is check e-mail once or twice a day.

    And as far as yanking the card and checking numbers, I thought of
    that, too - but I'd hoped maybe this would just make things go easier,
    than going on a quest for drivers based on hardware numbers - I
    figured just searching for generic Presario 7470 drivers would be my
    best start, then if all else fails, open'er up (what a mess that's
    gonna be, three years old in a dusty "windows open in the summer"
    environment) and check numbers.

    Thanks for all of these suggestions, though, guys! You're a really
    great group to throw out your ideas, I appreciate everything! I hope
    to have all of this DONE by this weekend with some of the drivers Seth
    suggested.

    Garrett C.

    Garrett C., May 4, 2004