Compaq Presario 7PL290 Power Supply Problem?

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Brad, Oct 27, 2003.

  1. Brad

    Brad Guest

    Help!

    I have had this system for a couple of years now and have had
    intermittent problems over that time with the system hanging (cursor
    freezes). However, more recently the hanging has become more frequent
    to the point where it may only stay up for 5-30 minutes.

    Only a cycle of the power will bring it back. Many times, when I try
    to power it back on, the monitor never comes on (light stays amber -
    doesn't go to green). Then, I have to try cycling the power multiple
    times before it finally comes on. Once in a while, if I try cycling
    the power immediately, even the cpu will not power on. I sometimes
    have to wait a few seconds. I know that is good to do anyway, but I
    seem to have better luck with the system successfully booting if I can
    power it on immediately after the power off.

    My troubleshooting has included the following (without any measure of
    success): removed all unneccesary pci boards, disconnected IDE cables
    (try just booting from the floppy), reseated memory, pull memory and
    try just one at a time, got a new hard drive to boot from.

    I am thinking the next step is to try a new power supply. However,
    because of the cost and effort to get a replacement (300w) I wondered
    if anyone knew of something else to try. What have I missed? Thanks
    in advance.

    Brad

    Brad, Oct 27, 2003

  2. Brad

    Brad Guest

    I replaced the power supply with a new one from Compaq and the problem
    remains. Any other ideas?

    Thanks,
    Brad

    Brad, Oct 29, 2003

  3. Could this be a zombied process running from some defunct program eating
    up available memory? Have you tried going into the config and shutting off
    un needed apps?

    If you hit <ctrl-alt-del> what does it show running? Try trimming the
    list down to just explorer & systray. See if that helps a bit. If that
    window is full, you may need to scroll down to check out what's running.
    You might also use one of the free spyware programs to see if anything has
    been added and is running without your knowledge. Software can often glom
    up the works to were even the best hardware finally stalls out.

    KC

    Kevin Childers, Oct 29, 2003
  4. Brad

    DEJ57 Guest

    Oh, I have to say it.

    See what a CMOS reset does for you.

    Dale

    DEJ57, Oct 29, 2003
  5. Brad

    Brad Guest

    I have tried removing unneeded applications, etc. When it freezes, I
    can't do ctrl-alt-del - it's frozen.

    I have also tried resetting the bios.

    Last night, I removed by USB keyboard and replaced it with a ps2
    keyboard. The system ran for more than 5 hours - first time in weeks.
    By this morning, frozen again. Based on that experiment, I am going
    to remove everything from the USB just to see.

    Thanks for the suggestions.

    Brad

    Brad, Oct 30, 2003