    like to replace it with a compatible mother board. What is the better
    kinds or trade to do that ?

    Thanks

    ko losing, Feb 26, 2004

  2. ko losing

    HH Guest

    From the Compaq FAQ:

    Q) Can I put a different motherboard in my Presario?
    A) Yes, but not really. The problems would be many, including:
    1. Physical layout. Finding one with the same Input/output connector layout
    at the back would be very difficult.
    2. Onboard connectors. The front panel wires for the onn/off switch and hard
    disk/power LEDs go to a single connector designed to fit the pins on the
    current board. So, unless you feel comfortable cracking connectors or
    re-splicing wires, don't try it.
    3. Power Supply connectors on earlier models may be proprietary.
    So, generally speaking for most users, the board is NOT easily upgradeable.

    In the 4700 Series the PS connectors ARE proprietary. I would not sink any
    money in a 7-year-old Pentium PC.
    HH

    HH, Feb 26, 2004