Compaq Tablet PC - I'd like to install XP pro + tablet utilitiesw/o Compaq software.

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Oscar Gonzalez, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. Hello and TIA to anyone that can help me with this.

    I'm rebuilding a Tablet PC that I have, and I've rebuilt it a few times
    already using the Compaq restore cds that come with it. HOwever I would
    like to install Windows XP pro (without using Compaq's cds) and then add
    any components required to use the tablet pc capabilities (handwriting,
    auto portrait/landsape selection, etc etc.)

    The problem is that I don't want any of the extra stuff that Compaq adds
    to the installation.

    I've googled a little bit and searched through this ng and I can't find
    a lot of references to this situation.

    Any help with references, advice, cons to doing this etc is appreciated.

    tia

    ----------------------------
    Oscar Gonzalez

    www.rageconsulting.com

    Oscar Gonzalez, Feb 19, 2004

  2. Oscar Gonzalez

    Chris H. Guest

    Re: Compaq Tablet PC - I'd like to install XP pro + tablet utilities w/o Compaq software.

    When you figure out what it is, you can (for the most part) uninstall from
    Add or Remove Programs. Otherwise, you're mostly stuck with however the OEM
    sets up their restore CD.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    Chris H., Feb 19, 2004

  3. When I figure out what "what it is"? I'm not sure I follow.

    Basically I need to know how to add functionality for the tablet pc
    without using Compaq's restore cd. Instead I'll use Windows XP pro.

    Unfortunately it is not easy to remove the programs I don't want because
    compaq integrates them into the components of windows... and changes
    graphics and stuff like that.

    ----------------------------
    Oscar Gonzalez

    www.rageconsulting.com

    Oscar Gonzalez, Feb 19, 2004
  4. Oscar Gonzalez

    Chris H. Guest

    Re: Compaq Tablet PC - I'd like to install XP pro + tablet utilities w/o Compaq software.

    The "what it is" is what you're trying to uninstall/not install from Compaq.
    Since you have their OEM CDs, you're dealing with that specific setup.
    There is no other way except to use the software with your Compaq, short of
    having an MSDN subscription (expensive) for developmental purposes only.

    Chris H., Feb 19, 2004
  5. Oscar Gonzalez

    terri Guest

    Re: Compaq Tablet PC - I'd like to install XP pro + tablet utilities w/o Compaq software.

    Windows XP Tablet PC Edition isn't available as a standalone and there isn't
    a way to add the Tablet PC functionality on top of XP for production use.

    As Chris said, you'll need to use the Compaq restore, then remove the
    programs that you don't want.

    --
    Terri Stratton
    Microsoft Windows MVP / Tablet PC

    terri, Feb 19, 2004
  6. Thanks to all of you for your help I guess I'll stick to the OEM cds for
    now. I actually do have an MSDN subscritption so I'll look into my
    options with that.

    Thanks to all again.
    ----------------------------
    Oscar Gonzalez

    www.rageconsulting.com

    Oscar Gonzalez, Feb 20, 2004
  7. Oscar Gonzalez

    PierreBe Guest

    Re: Compaq Tablet PC - I'd like to install XP pro + tablet utilities w/o Compaq software.

    Did this before; format the drive and install XP Pro on a
    Dell which also came with oem install.
    I don't see a problem to install?

    in message

    PierreBe, Feb 20, 2004
  8. Oscar Gonzalez

    Chris H. Guest

    Re: Compaq Tablet PC - I'd like to install XP pro + tablet utilities w/o Compaq software.

    Not the same on a Tablet PC. You're dealing with very specific hardware
    which needs the proper setup from the OEM.

    Chris H., Feb 20, 2004