Comparing Apples to Oranges

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Priam, Dec 23, 2007.

  1. Priam

    Priam Guest

    In thread "Mac users will luuuv Asus's Eee"
    Fanaticism? Isn't the "It just works" Mac fanaticism due in large part
    to the fact that OS X runs only on proprietary hardware? This way Apple
    knows exactly which hardware it's dealing with and ajusting *their
    software* to *their hardware* is much simpler. This fact is common
    knowledge.

    Now, we have a manufacturer who offers a version of Linux for his own
    material. Don't you believe that the chances it works perfectly are much
    greater than if Linux is installed on one of the millions different
    hardware configurations? They're playing the same game as Apple, except
    they won't prevent any other OS to run on the Eee. They don't lock their
    hardware as Apple does.

    This is why I entitled this thread "Mac users will luuuv Asus's Eee".
    The Eee is "married" to its OS the same way that Apple hardware and OS X
    are. (Though, contrary to Mac hardware, it won't prevent any other OS to
    run on it.)

    Your arguments make no sense: you're comparing Apples to Oranges.

    Priam, Dec 23, 2007

  2. Priam

    Gerry Guest

    Since the new Intel Macintosh computers can run OS X, Windows, and Linux
    I think your argument has a very large whole right in the middle.

    Gerry, Dec 24, 2007

  3. Priam

    Ilgaz Öcal Guest

    PowerPC Macs have run everything except Windows. Now those popular
    Linux Distros are dropping official PPC support since they are
    "outfashioned" (yea, Cell,PPC970 are old).

    I was happily ignoring Linux until they called my Quad G5 as
    "Outfashioned" while IBM just released AIX 5L for their PPC970 (G5)
    Workstations. Now it is time to tell some facts to those Linux guys.

    So the only ones who drops Mac support are those highly advertised
    Ubuntu etc. Linuxes, Apple actually started to use all PPC970 (G5)
    features at Leopard release except IBM's territory "Virtualisation" of
    course.

    For Eee sized things, my choice is Nokia E90 running Symbian with full
    supported commercial, professionally coded software such as Opera, Real
    Player. It has near everything in open source form too.

    http://europe.nokia.com/link?cid=PLAIN_TEXT_118954

    About the iPhone: I am personally wondering how advanced the iPhone SDK
    is, you use the oppurtunity to joke. If iPhone SDK is a complete SDK,
    easily coded via XCode the real portable revolution may have begun. It
    also includes open source naturally. I got flamed for calling iPhone a
    joke until Apple announced a SDK, now I am silently waiting.

    Linux may "just work" too but it doesn't work as I want. I have lost
    all my respect to those "popular", "Digg" distros like Ubuntu the day
    they left the PPC users out in the cold. I can't entertain or satisfy a
    South African Billionaire who decided to race with MSFT.

    The "Mac Fanboy" template can't work on me since I have always been a
    customer, not a fanatic. If this Leopard disaster continues on my
    Machine, I may move to x86/Vista in no time. If I install Linux ever
    again, it would be either Debian or Slackware. I like pure form of
    things. I better say that I have run Linux for at least 18 months
    without Dual-Booting to Windows or using Wine. Did you see anyone else
    doing it? I even have original Loki games here which that community (!)
    laughed at me for purchasing them I really know how the community works
    and what to expect (or NOT) from Linux.

    Ilgaz

    Ilgaz Öcal, Dec 24, 2007
  4. Apple doesn't prevent Linux from running on Macs. It doesn't prevent
    Windows from running on Macs. In fact, Apple makes it easy to run
    Windows on Macs.

    So exactly how is Apple locking the hardware?
    That is totally wrong about Mac hardware.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 24, 2007
  5. Even before Intel Macintosh, the Mac could run Linux--and it could run
    Windows through emulation; Apple even sold (even though they didn't
    make) the emulation software.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 24, 2007
  6. Priam

    Priam Guest

    Gee, I got everything wrong! :0 It's OS X that doesn't run on anything
    but Apple stuff, just the opposite.

    Now what?

    Priam, Dec 24, 2007
  7. Actually, people have hacked OS X to run on other brands of computer.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 24, 2007
  8. Priam

    Ilgaz Öcal Guest

    and nobody pays for that OS X they run on their OEM PCs, as result we
    may get a very restrictive OS next build based on the Apple patents
    recently. It may (or not) create compatibility problems too.

    Those pirates already uses it as an oppurtunity to troll while they are
    STEALING our OS X, the OS we pay for when we buy new Mac or OS X DVD.

    Ilgaz

    Ilgaz Öcal, Dec 24, 2007
  9. Priam

    Priam Guest

    I sure am stealing "your OS X"!!!

    What a frickin' moron!

    Priam, Dec 24, 2007
  10. Priam

    Priam Guest

    No, no, no! I stole his personal copy and replaced it with a fake. Don't
    ask why he's having so many problems booting Leopard!

    Yes, absolutely "us Wintards", the know-nothing fighting against the Mac
    kingdom of cleaverness and purity.

    Shit! It's not one moron: it's a whole bunch of morons frickin'
    themselves out with the Empire of Evil!

    Priam, Dec 25, 2007
  11. Priam

    Ilgaz Öcal Guest

    When I buy Apple hardware or OS software, I am paying for it to cover
    Apple's expenses and of course, revenue.

    When you download a pirated OS X copy and install it to your Taiwan
    junk PC, you are using an OS I paid for, at least a share of it. So,
    you are pirating MY and every legit OS X users operating system.

    Ilgaz

    Ilgaz Öcal, Dec 28, 2007
  12. Priam

    Ilgaz Öcal Guest

    Perhaps you miss the fact that this is not "Someone nicked Mr. Strat
    should troll when he is bored" newsgroup, this is comp.SYS.MAC.SYSTEM
    newsgroup where people share their problems and look for possible
    solutions.

    I won't stop reporting issues or helping people when I can because 2-3
    no-life trolls could be reading them. It only shows your lack of
    quality as a human being, nothing else. It is not like Apple shares
    drop or people give up OS X when we tell about possible problems.

    Ilgaz

    Ilgaz Öcal, Dec 29, 2007