    dual core processors for Excel, and very fast memory. Is the difference in
    price just the default lengths of the support contracts? Looking at mid
    tier for each product line, XPS 400 looks an awful lot like Precision 380.

    Will, Mar 17, 2006

  2. Will

    Fixer Guest

    They are basically the same machine

    Fixer, Mar 17, 2006

  3. The difference in price is partially due to the Precisions typically
    having workstation graphics cards (whose prices start at what the
    highest end consumer graphics cards top out at). A good portion of the
    price of these cards come from their ISV certifications, mainly useful
    for CAD work. Precisions are also often offered with Xeon CPU's and ECC
    RAM, which doesn't add much to gaming (and in the case of ECC, can
    actually hinder performance). As for support, both Small Business
    machines and XPS still have good reputations; I have only dealt with SB,
    and I was happy with the support I received.

    Nicholas Andrade, Mar 17, 2006
  4. Hi,

    I have a Precision 670 (with Dual Xeon) and just configured
    a XPS to be the equivalent of my system and it was about
    the same price ...

    I think the two big questions as pointed out before are:

    - Professional video card
    - Reliable ECC memory

    I did not need neither of these two but there was no XPS
    that time. The Dimension line did not have Xeons ...

    Regards,
    Giovanni

    Giovanni Azua, Mar 17, 2006