Comparing Dell XPS XPS M1710 (17 " Widescreen) with ThinkPad T61 1(5" Widescreen)

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by amandaf37, Sep 3, 2007.

  1. amandaf37

    amandaf37 Guest

    I have customized a Dell system and a thinkpad for XP Pro. At Dell, on
    M1710 (17 " Widescreen) has XP Pero option available. I prefer 15". I
    tried to bild tehe two systems w/ the same component

    DELL XPS M1710 (17 " Widescreen): $2,633
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB)-
    (Note: I didn't opted for T7500 for price issues)
    Genuine Windows® XP Professional
    2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHZ, 2 DIMM
    160GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
    8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
    256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 7900 GS - (Note: No 8000 Series available)
    Intel PRO/Wireless 3945a/g - Note: This is the only option available
    Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate)
    80 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
    Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™ HD Software Edition - Note: Only
    $25 less for integrated audio
    McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 15-
    months - Note: It comes with it; cannot remove
    Microsoft Works 8 - Note: I don't care about this
    Yahoo! Music Jukebox - Music Player - Note: I don't care about this
    but FREE
    1Yr In-Home Service, Parts + Labor,24x7 Phone Support
    and ..
    LCD PANEL 17 inch UltraSharpâ„¢ Wide Screen UXGA Display with
    TrueLifeâ„¢
    Network Card and Modem Integrated 10/100/1000 Network Card and Modem
    Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 7.0
    Miscellaneous Award Winning Service, Support
    XPS Specialized Support Inspiron XPS, Specialized Support
    Labels Windows XPâ„¢
    Processor Branding Intel Centrino Core Duo Processor

    ThinkPad T61 (15" Widescreen): $1,588.50 saving $529.50 if buy today
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 (2.2GHz 800MHz 4MBL2)
    Genuine Windows XP Professional
    15.4 WSXGA+ TFT
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M (256MB Open GL) - (Note: No other option
    available)
    2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
    UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad)
    160GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm
    DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer, Ultrabay Slim
    Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN - (Note: I like this option better
    than Intel PRO/Wireless 3945a/g)
    Integrated Bluetooth PAN
    9 cell Li-Ion Battery
    Express - 1 Yr Depot Warranty

    Questions:
    1. Is the price difference mainly from NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M (256MB
    Open GL) versus 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 7900 GS + the 17" Widescreen
    versus 15" Widesceen monitor
    2. Replacing the wireless card to desired one wouldn't be a big deal
    in Dell, right?
    3. Upgrading Memory in Dell could be expensive, right? Only Dell
    brand can be used and must be purchased from Dell, right?

    At http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadrofx_go.html is info on NVIDIA
    Quadro FX 570M
    At http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce_7900.html is info on 256MB
    NVIDIA® GeForce™ 7900 GS

    Since I really prefer 15" screen, I guess I have to settle with NVIDIA
    Quadro FX 570M (256MB Open GL) . Is that justifible? Will I regret
    later?

    amandaf37, Sep 3, 2007