Compariosn in quality between 14.1 SXGA+ TFT and 15.4 WSXGA+ TFT

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by amandaf37, Sep 4, 2007.

  1. amandaf37

    amandaf37 Guest

    See http://tinyurl.com/2hngkc for 14.1 SXGA+ TFT with NVIDIA Quadro
    FX 570M (128MB) and 15.4 WSXGA+ TFT with NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M (256MB
    Open GL).

    In the forum at http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=0&p=7796315,
    someone said

    "crappy deal" referring to someone buying a system with 14.1 SXGA+ TFT
    NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M (128MB). Someone responed with "It is not
    stupid. There is a reason why 4:3 screens are more expensive."

    - Another one said "The NVIDIA Quadro 570M in the 14 inch is not the
    same as the one in the 15.4 widescreen one. It is slower" to which
    soemone replied with "Actually not slower, same GPU, but half the
    VDRAM." What does that mena?

    Also one explained liek thi:

    [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[

    This is a very, very dumb thing to say because:

    1) The area of a 14.1 inch 4:3 LCD is 95 inch^2. A widescreen 14.1 has
    a real estate of 85 inch^2. Just FYI, the "great" 15.4 widescreen LCD
    has an area of 101.3 inch^2.

    2) By design laptops are NOT meant to be used with widescreen LCDs.
    The screen just add wasted space either on the top cover (blank strips
    on top and bottom of the LCD) or in the main unit (speakers on the
    side, or even a numeric pad that causes the keyboard to be off-
    center). The combination keyboard/touchpad perfectly fit the 4:3
    standard

    3) Everything in a PC, with the exception of movies, is made according
    to 4:3 standards. I have still to see a website that says "best viewed
    at WXGA resolution ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

    Does that mean that if I buy 14.1 SXGA+ TFT , I'll still get good
    resolution comparable to 15.4 WSXGA+ TFT and yet lighter and smaller
    thinkpad. I'd prefer lighter and smaller though not at the expense of
    resolution. Any suggestion which one I should go with?

    Then they talk about Dell Vostro versus thinkpad.

    amandaf37, Sep 4, 2007

  2. amandaf37

    amandaf37 Guest

    Well, I talked to the sale perosn and decided on 15.4" Widescreen. I
    was told that 15.4" keeps the speaker on the outside. I don't know
    whether it is goodo or bad.

    amandaf37, Sep 4, 2007

  3. amandaf37

    Lars Guest

    Well at least it will be heavy lugging around.

    Lars
    Stockholm

    Lars, Sep 4, 2007
  4. amandaf37

    amandaf37 Guest

    Well, tell me something positive about 15.4" over the 14" that
    justifise buying it.

    amandaf37, Sep 5, 2007
  5. The screen will be larger and more readable. The keyboard may have
    slightly larger key pitch as well, or the 14 inch might be standard
    size.

    What do you do with the laptop? If you're someone who only has a laptop
    to read their email while at conferences, you'll spend as much time
    carrying it as using it, and you want something small and light at the
    expense of usability. On the other hand, if it's your main computer and
    you use it all day, and the only time you carry it is between your desk
    and your car, you want something with a large display and easy to use
    keyboard and fast CPU, and you don't really care what it weighs.

    Only you can decide on the best tradeoff for you.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Sep 5, 2007
  6. amandaf37

    timeOday Guest

    If you use it at your desk all the time, I'd suggest an external monitor
    anyways.

    I think big laptops are for people who move them around the home or
    office, mostly short distances, but work in several locations and need
    to use the built-in screen.

    Personally, I think 14" 4:3 screens are optimal. Just wide enough for a
    full-size keyboard, but taller than a 14" widescreen. For anything but
    watching DVDs, extra screen height is more useful than width. Think
    about web pages, how often do you have to scroll vertically vs
    horizontally? Of course widescreens, being shorter, do fit better on
    the plane when the person in front of you reclines their seat.

    timeOday, Sep 6, 2007
  7. amandaf37

    amandaf37 Guest

    I'll be using a wireless keyboard especially if and when I use it at
    home. I do not plan to buy/ build another desktop.
    I do care if it weighs to much. I checked yesterday and it's ~6.5 lbs
    which is okay for me. I wouldn't want 17" due to weight.

    amandaf37, Sep 7, 2007
  8. amandaf37

    amandaF Guest

    [ ]

    When you said about the keyboard, I didn't think it would be good
    enough for me but I am very pleased with it. I have been sick with
    cold and it really helped me to not need the wireless keyboard to be
    able to use this laptop comfortably.

    amandaF, Sep 19, 2007