    How much faster is a 3000 A64 than a 3000 XP??

    Thanks,
    Steve

    Steve, Oct 3, 2004

  2. Steve

    Courseyauto Guest

    How much faster is a 3000 A64 than a 3000 XP??

    Thanks,
    Steve

    -----------------------
    The XP 3000 is 2.16 ghz and can be used with dual channel memory motherboard.
    The 754 pin 64 3000 is 2.0GHz and is single channel memory controller built
    into the CPU. The 939 pin 64 3000 is 1.8GHz and has a built in dual channel
    memory controller. All three have 512 L2 cache. I would say the 939 pin 64 3000
    would be the fastest of the 3 because the memory controller is faster on the
    939 because it has less latency than the socket A boards and the FSB is higher
    on the 939 64-3000 which is 2000 MHz. The 939 is the fastest but cost about
    $60 more than the 3000 XP. DOUG
    heres the AMD web site with the Athlon 64 specs.

    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_9487
    %5E10248,00.html

    Courseyauto, Oct 3, 2004

  3. Steve

    BigBadger Guest

    According to AMD's own PR rating system they both have the same performance
    (i.e. 3000+)... Who are we to argue?

    BigBadger, Oct 3, 2004
  4. Steve

    Wes Newell Guest

    Well, they should be about the same since they're both 3000+'s, but they
    aren't. I feel the XP 3000+ is over rated by at least 100, and all the
    A64's are underated by comparison. At stock speeds, the A64 is
    considerably faster in most things. Even the A64 2800+ beats the 3000+ XP
    in most things. You can compare the two here.

    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2038&p=3

    Wes Newell, Oct 3, 2004
  5. Steve

    Bob Knowlden Guest

    In a rather limited context (Doom3):

    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=2

    the 64 bit chip is quite a bit faster than the XP 3000. (In fact, the Athlon
    64 3000+ is the recommended bargain CPU for Doom3.) That doesn't say that
    this will be duplicated for general computing purposes.

    Bob Knowlden, Oct 3, 2004
  6. Steve

    tjones Guest

    What? it's the recommended bargain CPU for Doom3? Who would be insane enough
    to upgrade to a 64 bit machine just for doom3. It's not a very well
    optimized game.

    tjones, Oct 4, 2004
  7. Steve

    Bob Knowlden Guest

    An AMD 64 3000+ and mainboard can be had for less than $250 (US) total.

    The price for an nVidia Geforce 6800 GT or ATI Radeon X800 Pro is $350-400.
    Lots of people got one of these (or the higher end versions, for $100 more)
    to play the latest games.

    This isn't to say that getting an AMD 64 CPU fro a gaming machine isn't
    crazy, but it's relative.

    Bob Knowlden, Oct 5, 2004
  8. Steve

    Chip Guest

    I don't know what news reader you are using, but is their anyway you can
    configure it to show the original text indented with a > sign as above? I
    am sure it would be of benefit to the many readers of your posts. And apart
    from anything else, goodness knows how you would make multiple comments, 1
    after each of several lines of text. It would be impossible to read.

    Thanks

    Chip.

    Chip, Oct 5, 2004
  9. Steve

    Chip Guest

    But you forget that an XP2500+ Mobile and mainboard can be had for perhaps
    $120 total. And running at 2500MHz (which they will usually do), it will
    outperform even an overclocked AMD 64 3000+.

    XP2500+ Mobiles are still the best price/performance ratio you can buy.

    Chip

    Chip, Oct 5, 2004
  10. Steve

    Wes Newell Guest

    No it won't.
    No, 2500+ XP's are. $59. Mobiles are over $80.

    Wes Newell, Oct 5, 2004
  11. Steve

    Chip Guest

    Depends where you buy them. Here in the UK there isn't a lot of price
    difference between the two.

    And anyway, is it worth an extra $21 for the ability to be able to run
    10x240MHz instead of perhaps 11x200? I would say YES.

    I stand by my assertion above.

    Chip

    Chip, Oct 5, 2004