Compatibility question with Dimension L700CX

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Alan, Dec 21, 2003.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    I have a celeron 700 modem Dimension l700cx that I bought second hand
    sometime ago. I want to upgrade it. I've already got a better
    harddrive and video card.

    On Dell's community site someone said that I could put a Celeron 1.1
    in this system and that it would be recognized, but I had more
    questions, and the person never answered so here I am. . .

    Can someone be specific 'for sure' what processors can be used in this
    system? My budget is so that 30$ down the drain would really suck. For
    instance, if a celeron 1.1 probably will work, but a celeron 900 would
    'for sure' work, I'd rather go with the for sure.

    Also, if I replace the processor, is there anything else i need to do?
    I know that I have to remove the heat sink, clean it, insert the new
    chip, use some artic grease and reattach the sink.

    Is there anything I would need to do in the bios etc?

    Thanks a million to whoever can answer this!

    =AB

    Alan, Dec 21, 2003

  2. Alan

    joe_tide Guest

    I suggest you go to http://www.powerleap.com and run the configurator for
    your machine. It should be on the first page that pops up. I have seen
    conflicting reports of which upgrade will work for the Lxxxcx platforms.
    This should make it simple.

    In the 700MHz computers they have either a 66MHz bus OR a 100MHz bus,
    thereby adding to the confusion.

    The Powerleap program should tell you exactly what will work in it. There
    are so many that "might" work, running their program may be the only logical
    solution. I can see why they didn't respond.

    As far as the processor removal - wait until you find out which upgrade they
    say will work. Some of the upgrades from Powerleap include everything you
    need. You just pull out the old processor, replace it with the new
    processor, and re-boot. Others require getting an adapter and a new
    processor. That would require some heat-sink compound and installing of the
    processor.

    Let us know how you make out.

    joe_tide, Dec 21, 2003

  3. Alan

    Alan Guest

    The reason I wanted to use a plain Celeron and not a Powerleap was the
    fact that on Powerleap's site it says that my computer is not
    compatible with the powerleap upgrade options. Also the powerleap is
    100 plus dollars while a new celeron 900 mhz chip can be found for 30$

    Does anyone know the max stock Intel processor that I can 'for sure'
    drop into this machine?

    Thanks!

    Alan, Dec 21, 2003
  4. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Ok, I've done alot more research thanks to a guy on IRC that helped
    me. I've got the Intel Cayman 810E motherboard which seems to use the
    66 mhz front side bus. Currently, the 700 mhz processor is running at
    10.5 x 66.

    On Dell's site it says that this model that I have (Dimension L700cx)
    can go up to a 733 mhz processor which implies that it can use up to
    an 11 x 66 multiplier.

    What I want to know, is there anyone that can tell me if there are
    futher multiplier's available. Searches on Intel's and Dell's site
    yielded no further information, nor did posts to Dell's own help
    boards.

    The next question I have is whether I can drop a 733 mhz Socket 370
    Pentium III processor in this system with an 11x66 multiplier setting.
    I found a source for a PIII 733 Socket 370 for around 40 dollars but
    it says the following:

    -------------------------------
    This is the Intel Socket 370 Flip Chip (FC-PGA) 733MHz CPU with 256KB
    L2 Cache, and that runs on a 133MHz Front End Bus Speed Motherboard!
    Add one to your cart today and upgrade your PC!!!
    ------------------------------

    What concerns me is the mention of the 133FSB. Does this mean that the
    PIII 733 can run up to and including 133 FSB, or does that mean you
    have to have a motherboard that operates at 133 FSB to utilize it?

    Thanks for any and all input!

    Alan, Dec 22, 2003
  5. http://www.roberthancock.com/dell/

    Christopher Muto, Dec 22, 2003
  6. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Ok I know about that site, but it does not answer my question at all.
    That site says that Celeron upgrades can only be performed on a 100
    mhz fsb. I have the 66 mhz fsb. Dell says that up to a 733 cele can go
    in it. I want to know can a 733 PIII go in it? I also know about
    Powerleap, and my system is incompatible. To anyone just getting this
    please read the rest of the thread so you can know exactly what I am
    asking. So far I'm just getting canned RTFM responses. I've read the
    RTFM and it did not answer my question.

    Thanks!

    Alan, Dec 22, 2003
  7. if your question is if a p3 733/133 will work directly in a dimension l700cx
    the answer is yes.
    however, despite the 133mhz fsb speed of the p3 your memory will still run
    at 100mhz.
    you will see a performance gain from the increased on die processor cache
    (128kb on the celeron vs 256mb on the p3)and faster fsb speed for video but
    i wonder if it is worth the effort or expense. if you haven't installed xp
    on this machine yet, and have at least 10gb disk and 256mb ram, i think you
    would find a better experiance results from that upgrade than a processor
    upgrade. below is intel's processor compatibility chart on the 810e. the
    faster p3/celeron processors not listed have voltage requirements that are
    not supported by your motherboard.
    http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/ca810e/procsupp.htm
    robert hancocks page on processor upgrade for the 'l' series is a bit
    confusing but that has more to do with the many revisions of the board than
    anything else. if you have a l700cx and not a l700cxe you should not have
    any problem with the p3 733/133.

    Christopher Muto, Dec 22, 2003