Compatibility

Discussion in 'Matrox' started by Canid, Aug 17, 2006.

  1. Canid

    Canid Guest

    We just bought a 21" Gateway FPD2185W Monitor ... recommended
    resolution 1680x1050
    It doesn't get on well with our current Graphics card, so we are
    looking at getting a new one.
    I was looking at the Matrox Millennium P650 Video Card, but I am not
    sure whether it would be compatible with our current system.

    The Matrox Millennium P650 Video Card has the following minimum system
    requirements:
    System: AGP 3.0 compliant
    128 MB RAM
    600 MHz CPU
    Microsoft® Windows® 2000, Windows® XP, or Linux

    We have an AOpen AX34 Pentium III FC-PGA 133MHz 4x AGP ATX MotherBoard
    I assume we would have to replace it?
    As far as computer knowledge goes, I am a caveman with a silicon club,
    so go easy on me. :)

    We do not really want the added expense of replacing the motherboard,
    nor the fuss of an internet return should the GPU not work for some
    other reason (none of the local shops carry Matrox).
    No one in the house is a gamer, we use the computer for websurfing, and
    graphic art (Photoshop & an art tablet).
    The local computer shop suggested the MX4000 as an inexpensive
    alternative... I assume they meant the GeForce MX4000.
    As we only have a single monitor setup, is it worth the bother to go
    for the Matrox.... how will the GeForce fare for my graphic art
    applications?
    Are there any computer components I have to worry about besides the
    Motherboard concerning compatibility?

    Canid, Aug 17, 2006

  2. That depends on what OS you're running ( W98, W2000, XP etc ) and on
    what CPU you have installed.
    If you're uncertain as to the CPU, look at the bios screen at startup
    - it should tell you what speed your CPU is.
    Your board is quite old, but capable of supporting PIII cpus up to
    1Ghz.
    The Matrox is a nice bit of kit, but its appeal lies in its dual
    monitor capabilities - and if you don't need or want them then it's a
    bit of a waste.
    The GeForce will be fine for your needs - though check that the output
    socket from your new graphics card matches the input of the monitor.

    To be honest, if you're not that savvy with computers I'd recommend
    you stick with your local computer shop rather than scouring the web.
    Might cost you a few quid more but at least you'll stand a better
    chance of getting the right kit - and have somewhere to go if there
    are any problems.

    Regards,

    Stephen Howard, Aug 17, 2006

  3. Canid

    Canid Guest

    How much difference is there in picture quallity, colour and clarity
    between the Matrox and the GeForce then? As I understood it, the Matrox
    cards had a very good reputation there.

    Canid, Aug 17, 2006
  4. Canid

    Canid Guest

    Main Processor: Pentium III 866MHz
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional

    Canid, Aug 17, 2006
  5. It used to be that the difference was quite clear - but then the
    competition wasn't all that hot. Different story these days - plus you
    have to factor in improvements in monitor design.
    For example - I have a Matrox G450 running on Philips monitor and an
    NVidia MX440 running on a Compaq monitor..and I get a better picture
    on the Compaq.

    You CPU and OS will take the Matrox should you wish to go down that
    path, but you'd be paying a lot for features you wouldn't be using.

    Regards,

    Stephen Howard, Aug 17, 2006
  6. Canid

    Canid Guest

    Thank-you very much. You've been a great help. :)

    Canid, Aug 17, 2006