    Any help or pointers to information would be highly appreciated.

    Thanks
    Cp

    CP, Sep 9, 2003

  2. CP

    Trevor Guest

    Any 80-pin SCA drive that is not high voltage differential should work.

    The 12-slot cases and the early 6-slot ones are not 'qualified' by Sun for
    operation at ultra speeds (20 MHz) but they work at that speed anyway
    provided there's not too many drives in them and the cable length is short.
    The 12-slotter is pretty marginal at ultra speed, but unqualified 6-slotters
    should be OK with up to 6 drives.

    Dual mode lvd/se disks (and I believe all lvd disks are dual mode) will
    operate only as se. They should switch mode automatically without being
    jumpered to force se mode, because the case grounds the DIFFSENS line.

    I don't think power supply or heat will be problems, provided you don't put
    in more than 6 drives and stagger the spin-up times.

    Trevor

    Trevor, Sep 9, 2003

  3. CP

    CP Guest

    Hi Trevor,

    Thanks a lot for the response and information. I am having trouble with
    1.6"(Height) drives. The height is occupying or covering two
    slots/connectors and the it is failing to get hooked to the connector,
    just wondering if 1" drives would work with Sun 711.

    Once again, thanks for your help and time!
    Regards
    CP

    CP, Sep 9, 2003
  4. CP

    Trevor Guest

    Sounds like you have a 12-slotter.

    I have only used 1" high drives in my 711s, so I can't give you direct
    experience of 1.6" drives. But I have noticed the SCA connector protrudes
    more on some drives than on others. Sun did use 1.6" drives in some 711s,
    but they would have chosen disks that fitted without fouling the other
    connectors.

    Here's the url of a users guide for a 711. Of course, it will not answer
    your current question (Sun will say "use Sun drives") but it might be
    helpful otherwise.

    http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/hardware/docs/pdf/805-3954-10.pdf

    Trevor

    Trevor, Sep 9, 2003
  5. CP

    CP Guest

    Good Morning Trevor,

    I have been researching about this issue and found that my 711 (which
    has 12 slots) takes only 1" drives. I didn't realize I bought the 1.6"
    inches. Bad me. I could even find out the model numbers which are like
    to work with my 711 (ST318404LC, ST19171WC, Fujitsu MAA3182SC,
    ST318203LC, Fujitsu MAG3182LC).

    Thanks for the information and pointer to a very useful document.

    Regards
    CP

    CP, Sep 9, 2003
  6. CP

    CP Guest

    Hi Trevor,

    Thanks for the pointer. Do you think the Drive models would be
    different for Sun 711's with 12-slot and 6-slot. I just got a 711 with
    12 slots and 18G drives which are 1.6" which doesn't seem to be fitting
    in the slots the height is taking up two slots.

    Once again, I appreciate your help and time.

    Regards!
    CP

    CP, Sep 9, 2003