Compatible Memory with K7N2G-ILSR..... PLEASE!! (before I trow itthrough the window)

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Mathias Rousseau / LaCie Canada, Jul 14, 2003.

  1. ok I'm pissed now. I tried 2 different type of memory in this $^=ù$ù$--** of
    mobo, and NONE is working.

    1- Samsung 512MB PC3200 DDR400 - Won't boot
    2- KingMax 512MB PC3200 DDR400 - Won't boot either (well actually boots once
    every 15 tries)

    I'm using the IGP port, and I noticed too that the speed scaled down to
    333Mhz... So I'm thinking of getting some PC2700 512MB....

    I'm tired of trying different memories and I need this f**king computer to
    work damn it. The reseller that I bought the memory from starts to think I
    try to rip them off. The only one I know works is the Corsair, which is
    twice as much $$.

    Has anybody try any other brands ? Especially DDR400... Is it REALLY
    compatible??

    Best Regards,
    Mathias Rousseau

    Inside Sales Representative for East Canada Accounts
    English and French spoken
    LaCie Canada www.lacie.com
    235 dufferin street, Toronto, On, M6K 1Z5
    tel: (416) 530 2545 fax: (416) 530 2546

    Mathias Rousseau / LaCie Canada, Jul 14, 2003

  2. Mathias Rousseau / LaCie Canada

    Doughnut Guest

    Hi,

    Im using one stick of OCZ 512mb PC3200 and one stick of 512mb PC3200 with
    winbond chips on (dont know the brand). I know the OCZ stuff is good for
    200mhz cos ive had it there. But both run fine when in together.

    cheers
    doughnut

    Doughnut, Jul 14, 2003

  3. Craig Stephens, Jul 14, 2003
  4. Mathias Rousseau / LaCie Canada

    Paul Maxson Guest

    X-No-Archive:yes

    I have one 512MB Corsair with red heat spreader so yeah it's good.
    Here is my situation though, I bought this board to use dual channel memory.

    So I want two 512MB Dual channels.

    What is working for this setup and is it a good ?

    P.S. My current stick is for sale.

    ~«©¿©»~

    http://home.comcast.net/~wegetourmail/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
    No. Try not.
    Do or do not, there is no try.
    Max

    Paul Maxson, Jul 14, 2003
  5. Mathias Rousseau / LaCie Canada

    Nero Guest

    You can't have TWO Duel channels,Duel IS two.
    512Mb one slot,512Mb other slot.

    Nero, Jul 14, 2003
  6. Mathias Rousseau / LaCie Canada

    Nero Guest

    You mean duel channel DDR exists?????
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!
    funny,I thought duel channel was using ram in slot 1 and 3,or 2 and 3.
    If you really could buy duel channel ram then it would be quad
    channel...........duel in 1,duel in the other

    Nero, Jul 14, 2003
  7. Mathias Rousseau / LaCie Canada

    Inglo Guest

    Mathias Rousseau / LaCie Canada cam up with this on 7/14/2003 11:34 AM:
    If you use the IGP, DDR400 is not possible, only 333. That's a fact.
    Want to use PC3200 RAM go get yourself a video card and don't use the
    onboard piece of shit.
    Try Corsair memory.

    Inglo, Jul 15, 2003
  8. Well this is not mentioned anywhere !! Besides, I thought that the memory
    would actually adjust to the 333 clock speed automatically, and not hang my
    system...

    Does that mean that you cannot use the AGP bus and the on-board VGA at the
    same time ?

    Why does the DDR400 requires to have an AGP video card inserted to work ?
    (technically, I don't get it)

    Mathias Rousseau / LaCie Canada, Jul 15, 2003
  9. Mathias Rousseau / LaCie Canada

    Doughnut Guest

    I think what people are saying as in my case PC 3200 will work in the board
    when using the on board vga but you cant run it at 200fsb or 400mhz. You
    will restricted to a fsb of 166 or 333mhz.

    cheers
    doughnut

    Doughnut, Jul 15, 2003
  10. Mathias Rousseau / LaCie Canada

    Paul Maxson Guest

    X-No-Archive:yes

    Dual Channel DDR it yeah it exists.

    This group makes it tough to get answers.

    My current Corsair 512MB is not dual channel.

    What I want is Corsair Dual Channel DDR.

    2 512MB Dims of it. The manual states you have to run it in pairs my
    question
    is what brand are people using with success dual banking with dual channel
    DDR
    and whether it is a worthwhile mod money wise?

    I don't really need smart ass remarks I read the manual.

    You can't take my 512MB non Dual Channel RAM
    and add another and be dual channel unless the ram supports
    it, mine doesn't. Go harass someone who didn't read the manual and research
    the
    board before buying it troll.

    ~«©¿©»~

    Paul Maxson, Jul 16, 2003
  11. Mathias Rousseau / LaCie Canada

    me Guest

    That board like Kingston HyperX as I have tried it and also Corsair.

    me, Jul 16, 2003
  12. Mathias Rousseau / LaCie Canada

    Inglo Guest

    Paul Maxson cam up with this on 7/15/2003 4:12 PM:
    There's no such thing as Dual Channel RAM, dual channel is a motherboard
    feature. Some memory companies, including Corsair, sell Dual Channel
    sets or kits. All that means is the pair of sticks is as "twinned" as
    possible, so they'll work optimally in dual channel mode. You can get
    sticks of RAM from the same manufacturer that include chips on them from
    different manufacturers or that are different revisions that will not
    work well (or possibly at all) as twinned pairs in dual channel.
    So if you were to go buy another stick of Corsair 512Mb you'd want to
    make sure it was as identical as possible. If you look at the Corsair
    memory
    forum<http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=128>
    you will find that some people have had luck running dual channel on
    different revisions, so that doesn't necessarily rule it out.
    Is it worthwhile to go to a lot of time and expense to get dual channel
    working for you? not unless you're using the IGP. MSI's own tests using
    the Sandra memory bandwidth benchmark show hardly any noticeable
    difference.

    Inglo, Jul 16, 2003
  13. Mathias Rousseau / LaCie Canada

    Paul Maxson Guest

    X-No-Archive:yes

    My apologies then because people around here and even internet sites are
    charging
    and arm and a leg I.e.. 50% more for "Dual Channel DDR!

    So I just need another 512MB strip of my current 512MB Corsair and put it in
    the right
    bank and I am dual channel? Saved me 100 bucks and explains why no one was
    answering me.
    Again my apoligies, lots of hype out there.

    Look here;

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Dual+Channel+DDR+for+sale

    http://pcwonderinc.com/bfoncolorcha.html

    Or just search price watch for dual channel ram.

    So I will put the extra money towards a video card!

    ~«©¿©»~

    http://home.comcast.net/~wegetourmail/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
    No. Try not.
    Do or do not, there is no try.
    Max

    sentiment of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions.”"

    Paul Maxson, Jul 16, 2003
  14. Mathias Rousseau / LaCie Canada

    Paul Maxson Guest

    X-No-Archive:yes

    P,S This is what I have now. 100 bucks seems steep though.

    http://www.mwave.com/mwave/doc2/A08544.html

    Maybe I just need a decent dedicated video card?

    ~«©¿©»~

    Paul Maxson, Jul 16, 2003
  15. Mathias Rousseau / LaCie Canada

    Inglo Guest

    Paul Maxson vomited forth on 7/15/2003 11:36 PM:
    In a certain sense this is just a gimmick. in another its very important
    to get a matched pair of tested modules to work in dual channel mode.
    What's the difference between single channel and dual channel? Well
    read this review of a Soltek single channel nF2 board that out-performs
    an Asus dual channel board in several benchmarks.
    <http://www.amdmb.com/article-display.php?ArticleID=244>
    I've got two 256 Mb sticks of the exact same memory you've got.
    Unfortunately, for some reason the second channel slot on my motherboard
    doesn't work at all so I'm currently stuck in single channel mode. I've
    done considerable research to determine whether or not its worth it for
    me to go through the RMA process to get a replacement board so that I
    can have dual channel working, I may yet, but from everything I've read
    and the benchmarks I've run on my own system, I don't believe I'd see
    enough of a performance increase to warrant the hassle getting a
    replacement would entail. I'm still mulling over the possibilities.
    It'd be pretty hard to go through that, waiting for the shipments to go
    back and forth, get the new board, get it running in dual channel, run
    3DMark01 and see a grand improvement in score of 150 pts.
    Now if you go get a top of the line Intel board with dual channel memory
    running at 533 or 800 FSB it will truly roar, but not so much on an
    nForce2 board right now.

    *PUT THE EXTRA MONEY INTO A BETTER VID CARD IF YOU WANT TO SEE REAL
    PERFORMANCE INCREASES*

    Inglo, Jul 16, 2003