Complaint to California Consumer Affairs: Regarding Sony GRX600

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by dr news, Mar 23, 2006.

  1. dr news

    dr news Guest

    Complaint to California Consumer Affairs: Regarding Sony GRX600

    If we let people get away with it; we only have ourselves to blame. If you
    think it is unfair, then stand up for your rights. Here is my complaint to
    the California Department of Consumer Affairs regarding Sony Laptop GFX600
    mfg's defect

    California Department of Consumer Affairs

    1625 North Market Blvd., Suite N 112
    Sacramento, CA 95834
    (800) 952-5210 (https://app.dca.ca.gov/cru/gencomplaint.htm)

    Regarding:

    Business/Professional office that you wish to enter a complaint against

    Sony San Diego RRC

    16550 Viaesprillo

    San Diego, CA 92127

    Description of Complaint:

    I have a Sony Laptop; Model Number: PCG-GRX600 # A2224KPC; and have
    uncovered a defect in the LCD screen for this model. It fails quite often
    in the 2nd-4th year. Of 41 units surveyed, 39 had experienced this same
    problem: Video works to the external video port; but the LCD has no video,
    with no apparent physical damage or abuse.

    I believe this to be a manufacturing defect, and that according to state and
    federal laws, that the consumer has a right to expect reasonable operation
    on products that they purchase. Of the two units that did not currently
    have a LCD problem, one had already repaired it.

    I have surveyed other users who describe Sony as "keeping defects secret";
    refusing to acknowledge a widespread problem; and some who even called
    Sony's practice of deceit "shoddy."

    I request that you investigate Sony's tactics and repair history concerning
    this model. If your evidence supports that this is a widespread problem
    with the model GRX600, then I wish you to use the full measure of your
    judicial power to compel Sony to initiate a recall or refund the repair
    charges for replacement LCD screens where there was no physical damage to
    the screen.

    Please List Supporting Documentation:

    I have electronic evidence that this problem with this particular model is
    rampant. Sony declines that it is a problem; although 90% of the items that
    I have found, have the same problem. This is not statistically reasonable,
    and I believe violates the consumer's rights to buy products that are free
    from manufacturer's defects, or a reasonable expectation of operational.

    My name is xxxxxxxxx

    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    And I can be reached at

    dr news, Mar 23, 2006

  2. I think you have a good point. However, Sony only offers a one year
    warranty. That alone is a good reason to skip Sony and buy a REAL laptop,
    IBM. The higher end machines come with a three year warranty, and you can
    add two more years for $220 (or less when there is a sale).
    In which case this problem is not relevent.

    Bruce Markowitz, Mar 23, 2006

  3. dr news

    Roy Guest

    Complaint to California Consumer Affairs: Regarding Sony GRX600
    t>hink it is unfair, then stand up for your rights. Here is my
    complaint to
    Boo..Ho.Ho..hoo...sob...America is neglected by Sony...SOB....

    ..

    Roy, Mar 24, 2006
  4. dr news

    dr news Guest

    Sony sent me a letter and explained to me that it was almost 4 years. I
    countered that I and my business had a number of IBM thinkpads, circa 1999,
    and they were still running flawlessly. Yup, IBM has the quality, but also
    a very strong business lease program. We'll see how the new thinkpads stand
    up, now that Lenova ows em. dr

    --
    dr.news //stores.ebay.com/better-price-wireless (not better than you
    deserve, just more than you are used to)

    dr news, Mar 24, 2006
  5. dr news

    dr news Guest

    Stuff happens; and maybe it is boo-hoo; but I'm not going over quietly.
    With over 2000 people responding to me via email; the bst I can do is share
    my approach, and encourage others to do it. It may not go anywhere, oh
    well. dr

    PS: Sony has awesome products; but if some fall short, we shouldn't have to
    pay extra for it. IMHO

    dr news, Mar 24, 2006
  6. dr news

    Roy Guest

    PS: Sony has awesome products

    I agree at that point...
    I think its the ' SUE' mentality ' of the Americans that is more
    worrisome....How come in the Asia Pacific region Sony notebook users
    here does not share that beligerence....and Sony notebooks were looked
    with great respect... and I hear only rarely any complaint from Sony
    laptops ...but more from Dell, HP, IBM ,even Gateway

    Maybe ,it has something to do with the yanks cultural arrogance?

    Roy, Mar 24, 2006
  7. dr news

    zwsdotcom Guest

    While I hate Sony as much as the next guy, I have to say: You're a
    greedy troll. You knew the warranty when you bought the item. If it
    explodes or turns blue on warranty day + 1, you have no legal foothold
    whatsoever.

    Everything has a lifespan. If Sony chose an LCD with a lifespan of two
    years (actually, I guess it's the backlight tube rather than the
    display itself), and then guaranteed it to work for one year, I'd call
    that conservative engineering. If you expect it to work for the rest of
    your natural lifespan, I'd call that greed. If you then go on to
    threaten all kinds of legal action, I'd call that petulance, stupidity
    and an attempt to force others to take on an expense that you incurred
    by choice.

    Note, by the way, that Sony almost certainly didn't make the LCD.

    I'm sure you can find many people to complain about Sony. It baffles me
    why they bother to make computers. It mystifies me beyond comprehension
    why anyone would buy one. However, that doesn't validate your claim one
    whit. If Sony "compensates" you, which they might, it will purely be to
    shut your argumentative, foolish mouth - not because you have any valid
    basis for complaint at all.

    zwsdotcom, Mar 24, 2006
  8. dr news

    dr news Guest

    I respect your right to an opinion. While I may not agree, thanks for
    taking the time to reply to the post. dr

    dr news, Mar 24, 2006
  9. dr news

    dr news Guest

    California references this issue to their California Department of Justice,
    Office of the Attorney General

    DCA Complaint #CU-06-0323153416

    Thank you for contacting the State of California, Department of Consumer
    Affairs (DCA).

    The information you provided indicates that this is an issue that falls
    outside of the DCA's regulatory authority; however, we recommend you contact
    the California Department of Justice, Office of the Attorney General (AG).
    The AG's office establishes and operates projects and programs to protect
    consumers from fraudulent, unfair, and illegal activities that victimize
    consumers. For more information and assistance regarding this matter,
    please contact the AG directly at the following:

    California Department of Justice,
    Office of the Attorney General
    Public Inquiry Unit
    PO Box 944255
    Sacramento, CA 94244-2550
    Toll free: (800) 952-5225 (in California)
    Telephone: (916) 322-3360
    Web site: http://www.caag.state.ca.us

    We hope you find this information helpful. Again, thank you for contacting
    the DCA.

    dr news, Mar 24, 2006
  10. dr news

    Quaoar Guest

    You are a complete moron. Seeking recompense for a product
    *manufactured* with a defect that the *manufacturer* refuses to
    acknowledge is just.

    I suppose you simply assign such failures to karma?

    Quaoar, Mar 24, 2006
  11. dr news

    Quaoar Guest

    Well, Sony sells great notebook computers - possibly out of the box
    better designed than most other vendors. What Sony has done, though, is
    to deny problems that turn up in year 1 or 2 in their products that
    should not happen, often arbitrarily voiding the user's warranty for
    "abuse", with no user recourse.

    The fact of a warranty is no excuse for selling a defective product. No
    other consumer product except for notebook computers has such limited
    consumer protection from "known" defects, warranty or not.

    Quaoar, Mar 24, 2006
  12. dr news

    Roy Guest

    You are a complete moron. Seeking recompense for a product
    *>manufactured* with a defect that the *manufacturer* refuses to
    Hey, .... I return that namecalling to you..... you are a perfect
    moron !
    .....and I think if people in America suffer from so many defects in a
    particular notebook I suppose its also the result of bad karma,,,you
    reap what you sow...

    Roy, Mar 25, 2006
  13. dr news

    FeO Guest

    I am going to chime in here, because I cant beleive the responses I a
    reading regarding this issue.

    There is a difference between warranty and life expectancy. If I wer
    to buy a clothes washer which typically has a one year warranty, an
    it fails at day 366, I am going to be pissed if the manufacturer say
    to me "well you got 366 days out of your unit, so sto
    moaning" My "expectancy" is that the washer will las
    at least 10 years

    I have a Sony DVD player that lasted about 4 months, then it stoppe
    recognizing disks. This was not a cheap unit. It retailed for
    little over 3 bills. I checked on ebay and found a mess of thes
    units for sale labled "fix or repair". Doing a littl
    digging I found out that the cause of the problem was the disk driv
    motor. A $2.65 item (at retail) that was made in Korea. I didnt tel
    sony to buy their disk drive motors in Korea, just like the origina
    author didnt tell Sony to buy cheap lcd's or bulbs, what ever th
    case may be, and when a manufacturer points to the duration of thei
    warranty as an excuse, they have already lost. None of the people wh
    bought Sony Laptops will ever buy another Sony product, period. Son
    needs better QC or they will fade away. That is capitalism at it
    best. They can only survive on name recognition if it is positiv
    name recognition

    Case in point: I have a Marantz amplifier that still works perfectly
    I bought it slightly used in 1972. I think the original warranty wa
    90 days.

    If the Marantz fails I will say " Man, that was one heck of
    great machine
    If it had failed at day 91 I would have said " What a piece o
    shit!" and expected them to fix it.

    A fitting statement is "it aint the screwup, its th
    recovery" If you take care of your customers, they will tak
    care of you. Your customers are like your teeth, ignore them, an
    they will go away

    FeO, Mar 25, 2006