Completely Dead barebones system?

Discussion in 'FIC' started by David Cardinal, Dec 14, 2003.

  1. Hi--I've built PCs from scratch before, but decided to try doing a
    barebones FIC ICE-CUBE with my daughter so it would be "easier" and
    have the cool see-through sides.

    Unfortunately I can't get it to power on at all.

    I have tried both with and without RAM, CPU, and drives connected.

    The MB has few jumpers and I'd hope they'd be set well enough at the
    factory to boot--since it is a barebones machine. From the very
    limited MB manual none of the jumpers seem to affect the booting
    anyway.

    The ATX power supply has +5 out all the time, like it should. I can
    even get it to power the fans if I hook it up directly, but as soon as
    I run it through the MB, nothing.

    I've verified that the power switch correctly shorts the two leads
    coming into it.

    I'm totally at a loss to imagine what might be wrong. The MB has both
    the large ATX power connector and the smaller 4-pin power connector,
    plus the 2 power connectors for the PS fan and the CPU fan.

    It appears something in the MB is shutting off the power (or not
    turning it on).

    If I'd built it I might suspect a short, but as a barebones it was put
    together already, so I'm hesitant to pull it apart too much further.

    Any help would be great!

    --David Cardinal

    David Cardinal, Dec 14, 2003

  2. David Cardinal

    user Guest

    First, place the RAM and the CPU in the mother board. The computer
    will NOT boot without them.
    Unless the supplier said he tested the "Barebones" system before
    shipping, DO NOT assume anything!!!!
    Along with checking your settings for the CPU and RAM if they exist,
    disconnect everything except the PS, and of course the CPU fan and heat
    sink. Many MBs require a sense lead for the CPU fan before they will
    turn on the PS. It is also useful to power up a MB outside of the case
    so that if a short exists in the mounting of the MB, it does not enter
    into your test. Placing the MB on a sheet of paper with the PS removed
    from the case is the best way to establish if the hardware is good.
    From your comment that the PS works but not with the MB attached, it
    sounds like you are either drawing too much current with the MB
    attached, or the MB senses a defect that prevents it from turning on the
    PS. A bad CPU, no CPU fan sense, bad RAM (sometimes), inadequate PS, a
    failing plugin card, reversed IDE cable, short on MB due to bad mounting
    in case, are just a few. Start with as simple a scenario as you can and
    add components once you get power up.
    I believe the 4 pin connector is for Pentium 4. Is that what you have?
    Is it connected?

    Double check your PS cabling and simplify your system until you get
    power up.

    user, Dec 14, 2003

  3. Some progress. After plugging & unplugging everything a few times, and
    making sure the CMOS reset jumper was correctly placed (from what I
    can tell), I got the chassis to power on and the drive(s) to spin.

    BUT, I get no beep and nothing on the monitor.

    This is true with and without drives. I also tried with some known
    good RAM from another machine. Nada.

    The only other jumper on the machine (or at least documented) is for
    BIOS protection, which doesn't seem like it should matter.

    Any advice welcome!--David

    David Cardinal, Dec 14, 2003
  4. Amazingly enough, we've figured out that everything is fine as long as
    we leave the CPU cooler "loose". With either an Intel cooler or the
    supplied ICE cooler, all is fine until we tighten the latches. Then
    the machine will not beep or boot.

    Thoughts on whether that means a short in the MB or MB to Case or P4?
    It is a tiny case, so I'm not inclined to rip out the MB unless it is
    a last resort (came as a barebones system, so the MB was installed at
    the factory).

    It was a restock (thanks, Fry's:), so there was already goop on the
    cooler when we got it. Don't know if it could have gotten into
    something?--David

    David Cardinal, Dec 14, 2003
  5. Thanks for all the detailed advice. We more or less stumbled along
    those lines and eventually came up with the odd fact that as long as
    we left one of the two CPU cooler clips "loose" everything works. The
    instant we latch it, it fails.

    I'm assuming that means either a bad CPU (intermittent short) or a bad
    MB (intermittent short / cold solder joing). Does that sound like a
    good diagnosis?

    --David

    David Cardinal, Dec 14, 2003
  6. David Cardinal

    /.. Guest

    By 14 Dec 2003 15:06:21 -0800, (David
    Cardinal)
    decided to post
    "Re: Completely Dead barebones system?" to
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic:
    Does sound like a good diagnosis. Have you checked for bent pins on
    the cpu?

    Good luck,

    /..

    /.., Dec 15, 2003
  7. David Cardinal

    user Guest

    In addition to the suggestion of looking for bent pins, it is possible
    that you might have a dirty contact in your CPU socket. There is
    nothing you can do about this, short of returning the MB. Make sure
    however that the "Clips" are not touching the traces on the MB when they
    are connected. Look carefully at the underside of the heat sink to make
    sure there is no possibility of the heat sink shorting out the caps on
    the top of the CPU chip. Many CPUs have caps on their top sides.

    It could also be a bad solder connection on the MB as you suggested.
    Look for things you can effect, and if it excludes all but the MB,
    return the MB.

    user, Dec 15, 2003
  8. Maybe this is why that system was a restock. Any way you could return it
    or exchange it as a DOA?

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Dec 15, 2003
  9. David Cardinal

    none Guest

    Return it to Fry's and get another one. And don't ever ever ever buy
    anything that has a returned sticker on it. You have to look very
    carefully over the entire box for those pesky stickers!

    none, Dec 24, 2003
  10. Hi, thats terrible, some one returned a ice cube as restock and it wasn't
    even tested at store, terrible.

    Doug & Raye Lynn, Dec 25, 2003