    their a better warranty available from either HP or some third party? Anyone
    have experience getting CompUSA to make good on a warranty problem?

    Thanks.

    news.verizon.net, Feb 20, 2004

  2. news.verizon.net

    Al Dykes Guest

    I always tell people to get the extended warranty, with the
    manufacturer, not the store. The last time I checked, I saw one year
    warranties on the batteries, even with three year cpverage for the
    rest of the system.

    Al Dykes, Feb 20, 2004

  3. news.verizon.net

    B. Peg Guest

    I didn't know they cover the battery too (???). I paid $180 for a new
    battery - not from them as they didn't have one in stock and still don't.
    Guess I should'a read it better if it is indeed covered.

    Mine, aside from the typical darkening of the LCD display (it's on sometimes
    for 24 hrs), hasn't had a warranty issue and their two year warranty is
    about to expire. Don't know if I'd do the warranty thing again as a
    comparable model to the one I have is about $1000 less now.

    Oh, they upped my $250 insurance to $350 as I had the "brighter" display
    model (no doubt darkening issues aside) which cost more.

    B~

    B. Peg, Feb 20, 2004
  4. news.verizon.net

    JCBlueEyes Guest

    I bought a Genio 55G PPC from CompUSA ... I purchased their extended warranty.
    After one monthit slipped out of my shirt pocket and fell into a tank with a
    small shark in it. It of course, stopped working. I took back to CompUSA. They
    asked me what was wrong I said it didn't work anymore. They checked to verify
    that and I got a new one. Problem is, the warranty expires when you use it, so
    you have to buy another year to have your machine covered. I am not sure if
    this is the case with laptops but you should check that.

    JCB

    JCBlueEyes, Feb 21, 2004
  5. news.verizon.net

    Jack T Guest

    depending on the warrenty its a good deal if you dont have a conscious. A
    friend of mine hasnt actually done the laptop buy but buys componets like
    Video cards or Sound cards, buys the 1 year extended warrenty then at 11
    months or so, returns it, they give you the same amount of money credit to
    get a newer item, so he has bought a 450$ video card 4 years ago and hasnt
    bought another, but he always has the latest and greatest, so if they will
    do that i am sure they will replace repair almost any part for any reason

    but ask them directly have the sales manager tell you and even write it if
    they do not present written material with it stated, that they will repair
    or replace the laptop for anything including battery and dead pixels

    Jack T, Feb 21, 2004
  6. news.verizon.net

    charlie3 Guest

    Here is my experience with a Compusa warranty so far.

    On 6-15-02 I bought a Tohsiba 5105 S607 notebook (P4-M 1.7 GHz,
    1200x1600 screen resolution), for $2,300 plus tax, and a Compusa
    extended warranty for $350--two year term from date of purchase.

    18 months later, 1-3-04, I returned the machine to Compusa for
    repairs. 7 weeks passed and the store service manager offered a Sony
    Vaio FRV26 to replace my Toshiba. I declined because the Sony had
    only a desktop processor and 1024x768 screen resolution.

    Another week passed. On 2-26-04 and the service manager offered a
    "refurbished" S607 or $750 cash.

    I'm under pressure after 8 full weeks without my computer but I
    hesitate to agree to accept someone else's used computer, sight
    unseen, with an uncertain delivery date. I haven't found a notebook
    like the Toshiba for $750.

    charlie3, Feb 27, 2004
  7. news.verizon.net

    JHEM Guest

    What do the terms and conditions of the copy of the warranty you have say
    that Compusa will do if your laptop is unrepairable?

    IIRC, I'm pretty sure it says something along the lines of replacement with
    like kind or better. Read the warranty and then hold their feet to the fire.

    Regards,

    James

    JHEM, Feb 27, 2004
  8. news.verizon.net

    Gray Beard Guest

    On 27 Feb 2004 08:14:14 -0800, (charlie3) wrote:

    :>Here is my experience with a Compusa warranty so far.
    :>
    :>On 6-15-02 I bought a Tohsiba 5105 S607 notebook (P4-M 1.7 GHz,
    :>1200x1600 screen resolution), for $2,300 plus tax, and a Compusa
    :>extended warranty for $350--two year term from date of purchase.

    Since the Toshiba factory warranty is one year from date of purchase does
    that mean compusa charged $350 for ONE additional year? You could have
    bought a 3 year System Guard warranty for less than that directly from
    Toshiba or one the Premier Service Providers. That's almost a bad as a few
    years ago compusa business sales division was selling a 3 year extended
    warranty on Toshiba Tecra models. The problem with that is that all Tecra
    models (except Toshiba factory refurbs) have always come with a 3 year
    warranty from Toshiba.

    :>18 months later, 1-3-04, I returned the machine to Compusa for
    :>repairs. 7 weeks passed and the store service manager offered a Sony
    :>Vaio FRV26 to replace my Toshiba. I declined because the Sony had
    :>only a desktop processor and 1024x768 screen resolution.

    If you had purchased the Toshiba warranty extension (standard or system
    guard) you could have taken or sent it to the nearest Premier ASP and most
    likely had it back fully repaired in a few days barring any parts being on
    backorder.

    :>Another week passed. On 2-26-04 and the service manager offered a
    :>"refurbished" S607 or $750 cash.
    :>
    :>I'm under pressure after 8 full weeks without my computer but I
    :>hesitate to agree to accept someone else's used computer, sight
    :>unseen, with an uncertain delivery date. I haven't found a notebook
    :>like the Toshiba for $750.

    Sorry about your problems but hopefully your story here might keep other
    people from making the same mistake.

    Gray

    Gray Beard, Feb 28, 2004
  9. news.verizon.net

    charlie3 Guest

    I have read the warranty. Here it is.
    http://www.compusa.com/media/tap_terms.pdf

    I don't believe that the settlement offer made to me is consistant
    with the warranty. This is harder to decide because, so far, Compusa
    employees decline to respond to this item in the warranty "obligor
    will assist you in understanding your…Plan benefits from the day you
    purchase the Plan."

    Charlie

    charlie3, Mar 2, 2004
  10. news.verizon.net

    JHEM Guest

    Having read the warranty, two questions are raised. Which plan do you have
    and what state do you live in?

    Regards,

    James

    JHEM, Mar 2, 2004