CompUSA warranty vs. direct Toshiba warranty

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Kamal, Apr 20, 2004.

  1. Kamal

    Kamal Guest

    I am planning on getting the laptop through CompUSA. I checked the
    warranty prices.

    CompUSA charges $500 for 3 years. They claim they will cover the
    accidental screen damage (twice during entire warranty), hard drive
    damage and other accidental damage INCLUDING batteries (batteries also
    covered twice during the entire warranty). When asked to compare their
    warranty against Toshiba warranty, they claimed that Toshiba only
    covers one repair per year i.e. if the keyboard has a problem, Toshiba
    will fix it. Now, if during the same year, keyboard has some problem
    again or the screen has a problem, I will have to wait till the second
    year of warranty for Toshiba to cover the repair !!!! If this is true,
    then people would be crazy to buy Toshiba plan. CompUSA will cover
    repairs any number of times per year. That makes the CompUSA warranty
    look GREAT.

    I called up Toshiba too. They charge $300 for 3 years (their
    systemguard warranty). They claim they cover all accidental damage
    EXCEPT batteries. And yes, they did confirm that they will cover only
    one accidental incident per year. The rep didn't seem to be too
    knowledgeable.

    Am I missing out some fine print in the CompUSA warranty ? or missing
    out on some great features being offered by Toshiba ??

    Kamal, Apr 20, 2004

  2. Is there a reason this is posted twice?

    Bruce Markowitz, Apr 20, 2004

  3. Kamal

    Kamal Guest

    No idea how it got posted twice ! I posted it only once

    Kamal, Apr 21, 2004