Computer Arrived In Perfect Condition

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Harry Gordon, Dec 8, 2004.

  1. Harry Gordon

    Harry Gordon Guest

    My Dimension 8400 arrived on my door steps today!!! It wasn't suppose to be
    here until the end of this week or next Monday.

    Just a quick up status report...

    All kinds of CD's came with the system (utilities, drivers, XP OS, WP 6,
    etc). If they didn't send something, I don't know what it would be, perhaps
    someone can enlighten me as to what I didn't get. I have read where several
    have mentioned a "resource CD". I'm not sure what that is. But I didn't get
    anything that was identified as a "resource CD".

    The fans are extremely quite - no complaints from me and I have the box
    sitting on the desk less than 3 feet from where I sit.

    I did have some confusion on hooking up the monitor but when I realized that
    I needed to use a different set of cables (which I had laid out of my sight
    :-( ), no other "problems" were encountered. I also received a white video
    adaptor and I have no idea what it is for.

    The LCD monitor does seem a little less crisp than a CRT monitor. I did some
    minor tweaking with the brightness/contrast and that helped some. I will do
    some more trial and error adjustments but so far I am pleased with it.

    I did have some initial difficulties getting the system to load. I finally
    had to shut down the system and restart the computer. Once I did that
    everything seems to be working fine now.

    The only complaint I have has to do with the security software. But I know
    how to resolve that situation :).

    I haven't used the CD-RW yet. I need to buy some CD's. The DVD player works
    fine.

    My additional RAM should be arriving tomorrow.

    Harry

    Harry Gordon, Dec 8, 2004

  2. Harry Gordon

    Busman Guest

    Speaking of security software .... what is out there that is better and
    not so intrusive? Seems like every few minutes I have to do something with
    Norton. Any problems with uninstalling?
    Andy

    Busman, Dec 8, 2004

  3. Harry Gordon

    davids165 Guest

    davids165, Dec 8, 2004
  4. Harry Gordon

    Jim Guest

    Mine came with Norton also. I only have to do "stuff" once a week now.
    On my old computer I had Zone Alarm 3.0 (free version). I loved it,
    because you manually made up "rules", and you could see what it was
    doing (it logged EVERYTHING). The Firewall on Norton makes up all these
    rules automatically (can you say "AUTOMATICALLY"?) and I have no idea
    what it's doing. I can dig through the rules and the logs, but its a
    big "mess" to me. (I paid for continuation of Norton because I was too
    lazy to uninstall it and download anything else).

    Jim

    Jim, Dec 8, 2004
  5. <Top-posting corrected. Please don't top-post. See this URL for
    why: http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost

    If, by 'security,' you mean antiviral and such, yes. I would
    heartily recommend visiting http://www.grisoft.com and taking a look at
    AVG Antivirus. I was so impressed with it that I bought a network
    license (very unusual for me, as I'm not easily impressed).

    For spyware removal and such: AdAware, from Lavasoft, and SpyBot
    Search & Destroy, from kolla.de. Each one has its strengths. When used
    together, they make a near-unbeatable pair.

    Keep the peace(es).

    kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
    with surreal ports?"

    Dr. Anton T. Squeegee, Dec 8, 2004
  6. Harry Gordon

    tq144 Guest

    Isn't it a great feeling when you open the box and take all the parts
    out and everything fires up without a hitch? And the smell of the fresh
    new plastic is like the smell of Xerox paper in School.

    tq144, Dec 8, 2004
  7. Harry Gordon

    petemoss Guest

    The white cable is a DVI video connector. Use that instead of the one
    you used. Digital connections are clearer and noticeably crisper for
    text. My 2001FP had both connectors and I tried both to compare.

    petemoss, Dec 8, 2004
  8. Harry Gordon

    Tom Scales Guest

    Please tell me that

    a) This was a joke
    and
    b) you are not pompous enough to tell us how to post

    Do you not understand the concept of a GUIDELINE. There are no RULES on the
    Internet. Many of us prefer top posting. Clearly the trend is towards top
    posting as people understand how superior it is.

    Takes a HUGE ego to correct people on the Internet.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Dec 8, 2004
  9. Harry Gordon

    Chris Guest

    wrote in @c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    Also make sure the optimal resolution on the LCD is being used. If your
    flat panel is capable of displaying 1280x1024, and if you are using a lower
    resolution like 1024x768 or 800x600, your screen will not be as "crisp", as
    the pixels are expanded to fill up the entire screen.

    -Chris.

    Chris, Dec 8, 2004
  10. I plonked Doctor Anton T. {for Termite?} Squeegee after about his
    fourth correction like this. His comments/advice are marginal at
    best, downright ridiculous in a couple of cases, so it is no
    great loss. In computer matters as well as Usenet matters, his
    ego knows no bounds.

    Ogden Johnson III, Dec 8, 2004
  11. Harry Gordon

    joe_tide Guest

    That's so "90s"

    joe_tide, Dec 8, 2004
  12. Usually when used here, "resource CD" collectively refers to the
    CD(s) containing utilities, drivers, the modem setup stuff,
    needed when you reinstall the OS using *that* CD. And, contrary
    to what you might see some say here, the OS CD is a full OS
    installation CD, *not* a "restore" CD. It may be history
    shortly, as you may have seen if you have been following those
    threads here.
    You are aware, aren't you, that unlike CRT monitors, the LCD FPs
    have a "native" resolution at which they work best. e.g., and
    IIRC, 19" is best at 1600x1200. If you need to use another,
    lower, resolution, often using the Clear Type setting found at
    Control Panel | Display | Appearance | Effects using the "font
    smoothing drop down selection. You can also experiment with font
    size settings.

    Ogden Johnson III, Dec 8, 2004
  13. Harry Gordon

    Harry Gordon Guest

    To all responders, thanks for the additional insight. I have max'd the
    resolution and yes that has helped greatly. I had forgot about the TrueType
    font. I did that for my laptop and saw a fantastic difference. I will do
    that now for the FP.

    I need to comment on the fan again given the number of complaints I have
    read - the fans are so quite that every once in a while I have to look at
    the box to see if it is still on :). Right now I am sitting about 6 feet
    away and can't hear a sound (I am using my laptop at the moment.)

    BTW, in regards to responding at the top of messages - for what it is worth,
    and certainly it is an individual preference - I much prefer top posting -
    it is much quicker for me to see and make responses especially when a thread
    within a message is long. (JMHO)

    Harry

    Harry Gordon, Dec 8, 2004
  14. Harry Gordon

    Harry Gordon Guest

    Yes, I am using the video connector with the white ends :).

    Harry

    Harry Gordon, Dec 8, 2004
  15. Tom,
    I top post because that's the default in Outlook Express, so it has to
    be right. :)
    Paul <------------- Taking cover, incoming.......

    Paul Schilter, Dec 8, 2004
  16. Hi!

    Do you by any chance own a digital camera?

    Would you mind taking some pictures of the fans and inside casing on your
    8400?

    I've got an 8300 and while I wouldn't call it annoying, the fans are
    noticeable. The reason why I ask for pictures? Simple. Dell mentioned
    somewhere that the 8400 had a baffle or something inside that was made
    differently, thusly (supposedly?) making the machine quieter.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Dec 9, 2004
  17. Harry Gordon

    Tom Scales Guest

    Actually there is a CD that is clearly labeled RESOURCE CD.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Dec 9, 2004
  18. Harry Gordon

    Harry Gordon Guest

    William, much to my dismay, I don't own a digital camera :-(. However, I
    will be opening my case in the morning to install some additional RAM which
    came today. I will take a look and see if I can see anything unusual about
    the fan set up. I will also make it a point to see if I can determine the
    mgfr and model. I will post sometime tomorrow and let you know the results
    (assuming I can get it put back together.) "Stay tuned, film at 11".

    Harry

    Harry Gordon, Dec 9, 2004
  19. Harry Gordon

    Harry Gordon Guest

    Tom

    Here are the CD's I received:
    DRIVERS AND UTILITIES - for reinstalling V.9X/56K data/fax modem
    AOL (enough said about that)
    APPLICATION - Reinstalling CyberLink Power DVD
    APPLICATION - Reinstalling Sonic RecordNow 7.3
    WORDPERFECT PRODUCTIVITY PACK (1 CD)
    SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY
    DRIVERS AND USER DOCUMENTATION - DELL 1905FB COLOR MONITOR
    OPERATING SYSTEM - REINSTALLATION CD MS WINDOWS XP HOME ED W/SVC PACK 2

    I didn't get anything that said "RESOURCE CD". I don't know if that is good
    or bad.... Let me know and if I should have received one, I will call DELL
    and ask for them to send it to me.

    Thanks.

    Harry

    Harry Gordon, Dec 9, 2004
  20. Harry Gordon

    S.Lewis Guest

    Call and ask for one. Surely they're not cutting costs (further) by
    eliminating the Resource CD (and counting on reliance on the diag
    partition).

    WSZsr- if you read this post - did you get a Resource CD with your 8400?

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Dec 9, 2004