    Tom Scales Guest

    I got one with mine, but it was from the Outlet. I agree, call for it, but
    all the drivers are on the website too.

    Tom Scales, Dec 9, 2004

  2. Harry Gordon

    S.Lewis Guest

    Tom -

    Forgot you'd gotten one as well. I'd imagine that if the DFO provides the
    Resouce CD, then it would be universal on all purchases.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Dec 9, 2004

  3. Oops! Guess that means I ought to buy a new Dell more often than
    every three or four years. Sigh.

    Ogden Johnson III, Dec 9, 2004
  4. Harry, when you've got a perfectly good thread that you have
    started, e.g., "Computer Arrived in Perfect Condition" or better
    yet its predecessor "Shipping Information", that has [Gasp!]
    stayed on topic, please respond to posts like Tom's in that
    original thread, rather than fragmenting it into several threads
    as you have done with this post and your "Once again thanks!"
    post. It just makes things harder to keep in context -
    particularly for those who passed over the original thread since
    they had nothing to contribute, and don't recognize this thread
    as a follow-up rather than a new topic.

    It is a somewhat minor nicety, but one of those that makes life
    on the Usenet easier.

    Ogden Johnson III, Dec 9, 2004
  5. Harry Gordon

    David Guest

    On my new Dell the "resource cd" is just titled
    "Drivers and Utilities" so this may be the confusion.
    Looks like they have dropped the "resource cd"
    title. It is exactly the same though.
    Dave

    David, Dec 9, 2004
  6. Harry Gordon

    Tom Scales Guest

    That could be it.

    Tom Scales, Dec 9, 2004
  7. Harry Gordon

    tellme Guest

    Be sure to get +R media. If you have the Phillips burner even with the
    new firmware it will not write to dvd-R

    tellme, Dec 9, 2004
  8. Harry Gordon

    Harry Gordon Guest

    William,

    I checked the fans today and the large fan is housed within a green case.
    There is a much smaller fan that has what you might call a baffle on both
    sides of it. But, with the size of that particular fan, I don't think what I
    am seeing is what you're referring too. Sorry, I can't be more explicit.

    Drop me an email if you want to beat this around some more. I'll be happy to
    revisit the insides again for you.

    Harry

    Harry Gordon, Dec 10, 2004
  9. Harry Gordon

    Harry Gordon Guest

    Ogden, I appreciate you comments. And I am sorry for any confusion I may
    have caused you. It was my intent to respond to a given post, and in keeping
    with a 40+ year practice, making the "Subject" line reflect the basic
    content of my posting/note/memo/etc. If someone decides to change the
    subject, which I have seen numerous times, and I respond to that change, my
    "subject" will reflect the essence of my response. I grant you my "Once
    again thanks" thread may have pushed the envelope but my intentions were
    pure :).

    If what I have said does not satisfy your concerns then I have failed to
    understand your comment - sorry.

    :)

    Harry

    Harry Gordon, Dec 10, 2004
  10. Harry Gordon

    Harry Gordon Guest

    I sent an email to my sales person at DELL regarding no resource disk. He
    responded that DELL does not send them out any more. The software may be
    included on other CDs that are sent out such as the Drivers and Utilities
    disk. That wasn't exactly the answer I was looking for but considering that
    this is my 6th computer and I have never had to use all of the CDs that
    accompanied those other computers, I guess I'm not too worried.

    Harry

    Harry Gordon, Dec 10, 2004
  11. Harry Gordon

    Buck Rogers Guest

    I disagree. In some of the newsgroups I visit, almost everybody bottom
    post,
    even though there is no requirement or expectaction to do so. Even the
    regular
    trolls bottom post. What makes top posting superior?

    Buck Rogers, Dec 10, 2004
  12. Harry Gordon

    WSZsr Guest

    Those that top post are clearly superior!

    What makes top posting superior?

    WSZsr, Dec 10, 2004
  13. Harry Gordon

    Tom Scales Guest

    I do believe the Drivers and Utilities disk is likely the same thing.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Dec 10, 2004
  14. Harry Gordon

    Tom Scales Guest

    OK, a little more info. When I was answering earlier I was doing so from
    memory as I was in PA. Now I am in FL where the 8400 is.

    I just pulled the disk.

    The top line, in blue letters on a white backgroud reads:

    DRIVERS AND UTILITIES (yes, in all caps)

    Two lines down, in smaller white type on a blue background reads:

    Dell Dimension ResourceCD

    Now they could have changed things, but this is how our 8400 came. Came
    with the full XP disk too.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Dec 10, 2004
  15. Two additional data points:

    Spring 02, D4400:

    "Operating System; Reinstallation CD; Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional"
    "Drivers and Utilities; Dell Dimension ResourceCD for
    Reinstalling Device Drivers and Using Diagnostics, Utilities, and
    Online Documentation"
    "Drivers and Utilities; For Reinstalling Conexant 56K Data/Fax
    Modem Software for Microsoft Windows"
    "Applications; Dell Tools CD for Reinstalling Dell-Installed
    Software"
    "Application; For Installing/Reinstalling Roxio Easy CD Creator
    5.1 Basic"

    First semi-coloned item was title of CD in white top of label,
    rest was description in blue portion of label.

    Fall 00, L733r

    "Operating System; For the Reinstallation of Windows ME"
    [Spit!!!]
    "Dell Dimension ResourceCD" [has utilities and drivers]
    "PC99 V.90 Data/Fax Modem for Microsoft Windows Modem Helper;
    Software and Documentation"

    I would submit that Dell has an ad hoc approach to naming the CDs
    they provide for any given generation (or perhaps
    2xxx/4xxx/8xxx/etc model lines within a generation) of their
    computers. After all, all those high price members of a model
    development team have to justify their salaries. When all else
    fails, rename something - it'll look like progress.

    Note that the one consistency has been that the OS seems to
    always be clearly labeled as a Reinstallation CD. Perhaps an M$
    requirement under the OEM license.

    Ogden Johnson III, Dec 10, 2004
  16. Buck,
    It saves wear and tear on my wheel mouse. I find it irritating to scroll
    down through a long post that doesn't get parsed to read a one line retort.
    But that may just be me.
    Paul

    Paul Schilter, Dec 10, 2004
  17. Harry Gordon

    happycard Guest

    Default resolution for the most 19" LCD is 1280 x 1024 same as most 17".
    Means the text appears a little bit bigger on the 19". I just checked
    by DELL 1905. Default for msot 20" LCDs is 1600 x 1200

    happycard, Dec 10, 2004
  18. happy,
    I have an E193FP it's resolution was set at 1024 X 768. It seems to look
    the best at that setting.
    Paul

    Paul Schilter, Dec 11, 2004
  19. Harry Gordon

    S.Lewis Guest

    The 8400 fan is approximately the same diameter as the 8300, but is
    considerably deeper in blade width. So much so that the heatsink comes
    within ( a guess) roughly 1/2" of the fan itself. The green fan shroud had
    to be modified to accomodate the considerably larger copper core (and piped)
    heatsink to the point that the shroud nearly rests upon the top of the
    heatsink itself.

    Additionally, the 8400s equipped with upper-end NVidia/Radeon (read: fanned)
    graphics cards have an added "blower" fan assembly that resides mounted to
    the chassis below the hard disk cage and above the PCI expansion slots. That
    fan is smaller and is nearly fully enclosed in its own housing which is
    mounted to a slide bracket, which is in turn click-locked to the chassis
    metal itself.

    I'm not sure what's being referred to here as a "baffle", but I hope this
    information helps.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Dec 11, 2004