Computer freezes: Logitech mouse or F-Secure?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Zoe Miller, Dec 16, 2003.

  1. Zoe Miller

    Zoe Miller Guest

    Hello,

    I've had my Dell 2400 for about 4 months. Until recently my computer
    hadn't frozen more than once or twice. The wire from the original
    Dell mouse got wonky so a few weeks ago I replaced it with a Logitech
    Optical Mouse and have it plugged into the USB port. I at first
    plugged it into the PS2 port but on installation the program advised
    me to use the USB port instead. A few days ago I uninstalled the
    Macafee anti-virus program and downloaded F-Secure Internet Security
    2004. I have wireless cable internet with a d-Link router.

    In the past few days my computer has frozen once or twice a day while
    surfing after I clicked the mouse on the "Home" button on the taskbar
    in IE. Control+Alt+Delete does nothing and I have to cold boot the
    computer. Also, after I turn the computer back on, there's no screen
    that says "your computer wasn't shut off right so do you want to check
    your files." It just boots up as usual, though if I had quattro or
    wordperfect open it asks if I want to save the file I was in before.

    I'm thinking the freezing must be from the new mouse, the F-Protect or
    some combination of the two. Any ideas? I've read somewhere about
    using the mouse with the USB port using more memory or something.

    All the virus scans I've done say there are no infections on my
    computer. Any advice will be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Zoe

    Zoe Miller, Dec 16, 2003

  2. i wonder if what you are describing as 'freezing' is really a total system
    lock up or just a mouse problem. when you find that the system does freeze
    try typing cntrl-esc to see if the start menu pops up. i have seen many
    mice on usb ports behave badly. they are more reliable when installed on a
    ps/2 port but you can not disconnect/reconnect them to a ps/2 port while the
    system is powered on or you may damage the ps/2 port. try the simplest
    thing first, that is put the mouse back on the ps/2 port.

    Christopher Muto, Dec 16, 2003

  3. Zoe Miller

    JJ Guest

    It's F-Secure. The real time scanner slows everything down. Programs
    take longer to open. Internet surfing slows down. When the 30 day
    trial period expires, try another anti-virus program.

    JJ, Dec 16, 2003
  4. I just installed Quicken Premier 2004 on my Dell Inspiron 8600 with WUXGA
    display, WinXP Pro SP1, 1920x1200 resolution, 125% of normal size DPI setting,
    and Extra Large fonts. Some Quicken dialogs (eg One Step Update) have controls
    (eg Text or Button) almost entirely outside the dialog on top & bottom. Is
    anybody else running into this?

    Any suggestions for workarounds?

    Dave Morgenlender
    e-mail:

    David Morgenlender, Dec 18, 2003
  5. Zoe Miller

    Jeff Bean Guest

    As a programmer I can tell you it is very difficult to support dialogs
    at all possible combinations of DPI settings and font sizes. Windows is
    supposed to scale the dialog box and the controls contained within it
    automatically when you choose alternate DPI settings, but this doesn't
    work well with some typefaces. I would suggest first backing off on the
    font size to Large, or even Normal. It may be that the extra large font
    size is causing the window title to enlarge and cause the client area of
    the dialog to shrink.

    Jeff Bean

    Jeff Bean, Dec 18, 2003