Computer goes to Sleep by itself or reboots after 5 mins.

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by Bill, Nov 29, 2003.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    I have a 18 month old 700XL that just started having problems this
    morning. There have been no software additions in the last 2 weeks.
    Norton Virus is using the most current DAT and the machine has a battery
    back-up.

    After sitting overnight off I started the machine. I went to check email
    and (within 5 minutes) the computer screen went to black, machine locked
    up, and the on button turned from Green to Orange. The only way to get
    out of this lock was to disconect the power supply cable from the rear
    of the computer.

    This happened again, same circumstances, in the next boot.

    Then on the third boot the machine went 5 minutes and completely shut
    down rebooting.

    A call to Gateway lead to some "experiments" by the tech. In the middle
    of one of these experiments a reboot crash occurred.

    We fooled around with the machine for about `1/2 hour. Did a CMOS
    examination, checked for hibernation settings (not on), other stuff, and
    then he had me do a chkdisk and said call back if this does not work.......

    It has crashed since. It always restarts so the way I know it crashed is
    that I start up a different software program and when it is not there I
    know the machine rebooted.

    I know this issue has been discussed before but a google search turned
    up nothing of substance.

    Anyone know what this is ?????

    The tech was talking about the usual "reformatting the hard drive"
    scenario. I don't want to lose all the software setup time if I don't
    have to.

    Thanks in advance...

    Bill

    Bill, Nov 29, 2003

  2. Does the problem occur in Safe Mode? If it does not, you have a software
    conflict somewhere. If it does, you've got a hardware problem - if the
    machine passes POST (which it sounds like it does), and the problem is
    intermittent, then the first component to try replacing is the power supply.

    Edward J. Neth, Nov 29, 2003

  3. Bill

    Craig Guest

    If the power supply is indeed bad, it should be checked using
    a volt/ohm meter to make sure that the power supply is not supplying the
    correct voltage to the computer.

    Craig

    Craig, Nov 29, 2003
  4. Bill

    Craig Guest

    Have your "battery backup" checked that it is working properly.
    I have seen computers do strange things when the battery in a UPS
    is going bad. Try temporally plugging in your computer directly in the the
    wall
    socket and see if the computer problems still happen, if the computer
    problems stop then have your UPS checked out.

    Craig

    Craig, Nov 29, 2003
  5. A power supply tester which will simulate a load is a better idea - a VOM
    won't tell you much unless you drop the leads across some type of load.

    Edward J. Neth, Nov 29, 2003
  6. Bill

    Craig Guest

    Yes I'm aware of that I own one, most people do not own one,
    so I mentioned a v.o.m. instead........more common.
    My point was to have power supply checked to verify
    the power supply is working properly.
    Your suggestion was to replace without checking first.

    Craig

    Craig, Nov 29, 2003
  7. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Thanks Mr. Neth,

    I agree...unfortunately the Tech did not take my hint about sending a
    new power supply prior to reformating the hard drive.

    I will wait until Monday to try and get the first string of techs.

    Bill

    Bill, Nov 30, 2003
  8. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Craig,

    Great idea....I will shut down and try that now.

    Bill

    Bill, Nov 30, 2003