    until I turn the computer off.

    Can anyone diagnose this for me? I'm guessing it's a bad power supply
    but I figured I would get a second, more informed, opinion.

    Gactimus, Dec 1, 2004

  2. Gactimus

    Chris Hill Guest

    Check the voltages, if you aren't getting at least 4.85 on the 5v
    line, you need a power supply. If that isn't it, it could be anything
    from cpu, ram, video card to mainboard. These are always fun to
    track, especially if you don't have two of everything just hangang
    around.

    Chris Hill, Dec 1, 2004

  3. Gactimus

    Clark Guest

    Maybe a Virus, there was one that did what you describe a few months ago.
    Do you have a anti-virus program you can boot with?

    If not that, maybe a device problem--try booting in safe mode.

    Clark

    Clark, Dec 1, 2004
  4. Gactimus

    Gactimus Guest

    No, Windows doesn't even start to load period. Right after the computer
    beeps and reads the A drive it restarts and continues the endless
    cycle. I can't start in Safe Mode either. It resets before I can do
    that. I have an Anti-Virus program that my university provides for all
    students installed on the computer and it was update within the week so
    I don't think a virus is the problem.

    Gactimus, Dec 1, 2004
  5. Gactimus

    Pen Guest

    Might be a memory problem. Reseat the memory card(s).
    If there are 2 try with just one if reseating doesn't help.

    Pen, Dec 1, 2004
  6. Gactimus

    Gactimus Guest

    Thanks, I'll try that when I get home. I have two 512MB RAM sticks.
    Should I just take one out and see if the computer starts up and then
    try the other one if that doesn't work?

    If it's not a memory problem do you think it could be a power supply
    problem?

    Gactimus, Dec 1, 2004
  7. Gactimus

    _Vanguard_ Guest

    What happens when you insert a bootable floppy and use that to load an
    operating system?

    Do you see the videos BIOS output showing it loaded, followed by the CPU
    and memory stats? Do you get the ESCD (the table of devices and IRQs)
    and the end of the POST?

    What is the boot device order in BIOS? Is it set to A:, CD, and then
    the hard drive? If so, can you boot using a bootable CD, like the
    Windows XP install CD?

    If it boots with other devices, like the floppy and CD, then the problem
    might be a corrupted bootstrap program (first 460 bytes) of the MBR
    (first sector of first physical drive discovered by the BIOS). You
    could try to boot using the Windows XP CD, go into Recovery Console
    mode, and run FIXMBR. However, if the problem is that you got infected
    with a boot virus that usurped the MBR's bootstrap area, it might also
    have moved the partition table and changed their structure so a standard
    bootstrap program won't be able to read them. If there is critical data
    on your drive, be sure to use some drive imaging software to save the
    content of your partitions before replacing the MBR bootstrap program.
    Some utilities, like PartitionMagic can also check if the partitions and
    the MBR partition table look okay.

    Otherwise, disconnect all devices from the power supply except the
    motherboard, RAM, CPU, video card, and one (and only one) hard drive to
    see if it comes up. If so, you probably need a new power supply or one
    that pumps out more juice. Obviously if you go poking around inside
    then you need to use adequate anti-static measures to make sure you
    don't zap something.

    _Vanguard_, Dec 1, 2004
  8. Gactimus

    Pen Guest

    Yes that's how to handle the memory. It's possible to be the power
    supply, but a voltage check should show an out of spec line.
    Does the reboot correlate with hard disk spinup?

    Pen, Dec 1, 2004
  9. Gactimus

    Gactimus Guest

    OK, I reseated the RAM. No such luck. I managed to get into safe mode
    but no matter what option I choose the computer resets right after I
    choose it.

    Gactimus, Dec 1, 2004
  10. Gactimus

    WebWalker Guest

    Is the beeps sound unnormal? Like having more than one beep?
    Try to reseat memory card, PCI card and check out those drives
    connections.
    It might be PSU problem. If you having a spare, you can test it out.

    WebWalker, Dec 2, 2004
  11. Gactimus

    TimOpie

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    PC Shutdown

    Hi, just thought that i would ask since this topic is similar to mine. My computer that i have just built has been working fine but has just started acting up, about 10sec after i turn it on, it turns itself off, with no signs that it is starting to boot. Then about 10sec after it turned off it turns itself back on and repeats.
    Specs
    Intel Quad Q9450 2.66Ghz
    Asus P5KC Motherboard
    850Watt Power supply
    8800GT Graphics Card
    4Gb DDR2 Ram
    Windows Vista 64bit

    Any suggestions would be appriciated!

    TimOpie, Apr 27, 2008
  12. Gactimus

    garsky

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2008
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Reinstall...

    I guess there's no other solution other than reinstalling your OS. If there's no result either then i would agree with power supply or the Memory problem. Try to borrow and try it on your board.

    garsky, Apr 30, 2008
  13. Gactimus

    zton82005

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2008
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    There are two possible causes.. a virus or a memory card problem. If its caused by a virus and wont load windows then i guess you have to reformat your pc.. ;)

    zton82005, Jun 12, 2008
  14. Gactimus

    thomas

    Joined: