    Anyone know of a Computer keyboard that doesn't have large gaps/spaces
    between the keys, very much like the way laptop keyboards are now
    I cleaned mine today & removed a large amount of debris

    Martin ©¿©¬, Jan 18, 2013

  2. *** Go to an industrial supplier; they use keyboard covers for dirty
    settings. Ask where they get them.

    Richard Bonner, Jan 18, 2013

  3. Thanks Richard I'll try that

    Martin ©¿©¬, Jan 19, 2013
  4. Martin ©¿©¬

    Happy Oyster Guest

    If possible, do not use the built-in keyboards of computers, but use an
    external keyboard with USB-connection. To replace such costs less than
    10 Dollars.

    Some external keyboards are sold as "flexible", which means that they
    have one layer of plastic or rubber as outer skin. Some even withstand
    liquids. Such a keyboard, I guess, would be the best against dirt.
    --

    http://www.twitter.com/aribertdeckers http://www.Journalist.is
    http://www.kindersprechstunde.at http://www.pharmamafia.com

    Happy Oyster, Jan 19, 2013
  5. Martin ©¿©¬

    mike Guest

    a couple of problems.
    1) If this is your primary keyboard, you'll probably not like the feel.
    Not a problem for some seldom-used machine.
    2) the covers are custom molded to the EXACT shape and spacing of the
    keys. You may have to buy a specific keyboard that matches an available
    cover.

    mike, Jan 20, 2013
  6. I don't think this will help. The real difference between desktop
    keyboards and laptop keyboards is depth. If you actually look at a
    desktop keyboard, the spacing isn't that differnet from a laptop keyboard,
    it's just that the desktop keys come up frm that point, narrowing to the
    actual top of the key, providing an illusion of more space between the
    keys.

    I have the impression laptopkeyboards are harder to get the keytops off,
    but that could just be my perception. The junk will get under the keytops
    no matter what the keyboard, and if the keytops are harder to get off,
    then it will be even harder to keep clean.

    That said, last year at the Rotary Club garage sale, I got an external
    keyboard that was like laptop keyboard, low keys. I think it takes up too
    much space, but on the other hand, it includes a touchpad and one of those
    "joystick" things stuck in among the keys. I don't know if those are
    still being made. I couldn't get beyond the size, but it is useful for
    testing things, having the touchpad right on board.

    Michael

    Michael Black, Jan 20, 2013
  7. Sure, and probably the worst keyboards for typing.

    Michael

    Michael Black, Jan 20, 2013
  8. Martin ©¿©¬

    Happy Oyster Guest

    Happy Oyster, Jan 22, 2013
  9. Martin ©¿©¬

    micky Guest

    Yes, check out "Keyboard without number pad" on alt.comp.hardware.
    Starts feb 14. Some of the posts have links to them. Also google
    small keyboard. Just like laptop but external usb. Some might be
    external PS2.
    When I worked in the main office of a steel mill, the plant was next
    door and we would go out to the plant once in a while, sometimes
    where the steel was mixed. . All t he departments had computer
    terminals (one mainframe) and many were filthy with coal dust and iron
    dust and all the 20 or 30 or more additives they add to iron to make
    various kinds of steel. They worked just fine. These were IBM
    keyboards, I think, with metal cases, but that wouldn't help the
    center part, the keys and cracks between them.

    I'm told to clean a keyboard one can wash it in the dish washer,
    upside down, no soap, no extra heat, no drying heat, and that it
    usually doesn't damage t he keyboard, or rarely does so, and gets them
    clean I haven't tried it yet, becaue I onlyi have one multi-medica
    keyboard that I really like, but I'll try it eventually.

    micky, Feb 16, 2013