Computer rebooting when vid card is under load

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Sir Elric, Jan 9, 2005.

  1. Sir Elric

    Sir Elric Guest

    Just built a new P4 3ghz LG with a GA-8IPE775Pro MB.
    Firstly I installed my fairly new Radeon 128mb 9600SE and had some app
    problems which turned out to be some wierd compatibility issue with the
    card.
    So I now have an older Nvidia GeForce4 Ti 4800 SE with the latest
    Nvidia drivers(66.93).
    Every so often usually during high vid card load the comp reboots(using
    XP Pro).
    I was told to try switching the AGP speed from 8x to 4x but there is no
    such option in the BIOS that I can see(flashed the bios to the latest
    F3 too)does the bios even have this option if not now what?

    RAM has checked out fine.
    Reinstalled OS.
    No other apps running at the time as it's a new HD with relatively
    nothing on it.

    TIA

    SE

    Sir Elric, Jan 9, 2005

  2. Sir Elric

    wayne Guest

    sounds like power supply or heat problem

    Wayne

    wayne, Jan 9, 2005

  3. Sir Elric

    Sir Elric Guest

    Power supply is relatively new and in the same case as my old system
    that did not have this problem.
    Heating was a possiblility but I booted up one day and the comp was
    running all of 2 - 3 minutes and rebooted when some flash content ran.
    SE

    Sir Elric, Jan 9, 2005
  4. Sir Elric

    wayne Guest

    I upgraded from a Athlon to a P4 and my power supply worked fine for about 2
    months then would not work although it worked fine with my old MOBO. I sent
    the Mobo back to Gigabyte thinking it was bad, got it back a couple of weeks
    later and then realized it was the power supply. I would take the heat sink
    off the processor and try cleaning it and putting it back together. If you
    have several drives I would try booting with the minimum or getting a cheap
    vga video card and seeing if that works OK

    Wayne

    wayne, Jan 10, 2005
  5. Sir Elric

    Rudy Kube Guest

    I'm running a GA 7VT600 1394 with an Athlon 3200+. Experiencing the same
    problem. So far I've tried changing the PSU, Video card, HDD and even used
    another CPU. Cooling is not a problem with me. Thermaltake fans, Artic
    silver 5 & plenty of ventilation. I'm leaning toward the board not
    supporting dual DDR. Going to try the GA 7N400 Pro2 with the nVidia ULTRA
    400 chipset instead of the VIA 600. It also supports Dual channel DDR.

    Rudy

    Rudy Kube, Jan 10, 2005
  6. Sir Elric

    Sir Elric Guest

    I have tried a total of 3 vid cards and still getting BSOD with
    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error.
    Bought a Thermaltake fan for extra cooling, CPU is running at 42c, BIOS
    is up to date(F3), chipset drivers are up todate(6.2.1.1001) starting
    to think I just have a dud MB.

    SE

    Sir Elric, Jan 10, 2005
  7. Sir Elric

    Mercury Guest

    this tends to indicate you have a driver issue, although it can be hardware.
    If you have bad ram or you are running the ram out of spec you can also get
    this error, but you are likely to see other random errors too (EG fatal
    exceptions) . To remove doubt, run memtest86 to check ram - its free.
    click start, run sigverif.exe and for each file listed, identify what device
    its associated with (may not be, use google to find out). For each driver
    check to see if there is a later version.

    IE check network, graphics, sata / raid, sound etc. drivers.

    Mercury, Jan 11, 2005
  8. Sir Elric

    Sir Elric Guest

    I took the MB back and got a replacement picked up a XION case while I
    was at it and *touch wood* all is well so far.

    SE

    Sir Elric, Jan 12, 2005