computer shuts off automatically after 4 seconds

Discussion in 'IBM' started by Bond, May 16, 2005.

  1. Bond

    Bond Guest

    The problem started a month ago when playing Half Life 2. Out of no
    where I could play the game for about 15 minutes before it would boot
    me out and then restore to the desktop. So I decided to try a
    different game like Need for Speed Underground 2 to see what would
    happen... and of course the same thing did happen; it would kick me
    out of the game after about 10 minutes to the desktop. I can do
    anything else on my computer other than play games. I have a roommate
    so I decided to try his video card in mine (his video card is
    equivalent to mine) and still got the same results... tried his ram
    and even in different slots, still nothing different. Oh, and I also
    tried these combinations after reformatting my computer. Finally after
    talking it over with some friends we thought maybe it could be a power
    shortage of some sort. So i decided to try a different (working) power
    supply. Then a new problem occurred where the computer would boot up
    and then restart after about 4 seconds. After checking the comuter for
    loose connections I still had the same problem, therefore I decided to
    put my power supply back into the computer and well, it still would
    shut off after 4 seconds. I thought maybe the motherboard was touching
    the case so i took it out and made it more secure using more screws...
    still nothing... then I decided to start taking parts out until I had
    the motherboard out of the case with only the RAM and Video Card
    connected but still would shut off after 4 seconds. Now I'm thinking
    my processor or motherboard is screwed.
    So does anyone have any ideas or suggestions up to this point?

    I'm thinking that I might have to buy a new motherboard or processor
    but I'm not sure which to buy. For some reason I was thinking that I
    wouldn't be able to buy one without the other. Reason behind this is
    because if I buy a new processor and the motherboard is bad, it could
    just damage the new processor... and vice versa, if i buy a new
    motherboard and it ends up that the processor is bad, the processor
    could damage the new motherboard... not sure if this logic is true...
    if not, where should I go from here?

    Well, thanks to all that attempt to help me out.

    Bond, May 16, 2005

  2. Bond

    Al Dykes Guest

    IMO your heatsink isn't installed properly.

    Al Dykes, May 16, 2005

  3. Bond

    Bond Guest

    then why was everything working before and just now it stopped working.
    Do you think that the processor is dead now because it just couldn't
    take the punishment of overheating? or are you saying that the
    heatsink isn't installed properly and therefore as a safety issue the
    computer will not boot because of this (which I couldn't see being the
    problem since everything was working before and I didn't screw around
    with the processor).

    Bond, May 16, 2005
  4. Bond

    Ghostrider Guest

    Since this problem surfaced after swapping PSU's, there could
    be the issue of forgetting to re-insert the 4-pin supplemental
    12V power connector to the motherboard. A short delay is normal,
    usually for the hard drives to spin up, before the CPU starts.
    But if this 4-pin connector was not replaced --- and this is a
    common oversight, even amongst experienced builders ---, the
    symptoms as described would appear. Open the computer case and
    check the leads from the PSU.

    Ghostrider, May 16, 2005
  5. Bond

    Bond Guest

    a 4-pin supplemental 12V power connector? Never heard of doing this
    before... I've ever only had the one main connector from the PSU to
    the motherboard.

    Bond, May 17, 2005
  6. Bond

    Bond Guest

    I have the one 20 pin connector for the motherboard. Is there another
    connector you are talking about? I mean I know I have to connect at
    least one haha... but if there is another, please let me know.

    Bond, May 17, 2005
  7. Bond

    Bond Guest

    ok... after looking at my roommates computer, I know what you are
    talking about. He has it connected to his motherboard and I don't
    because my motherboard doesn't have a spot for it. I have an ASUS
    A7N8X-X

    Bond, May 17, 2005
  8. Bond

    Ghostrider Guest

    In this case, there is good possibility that the AMD CPU
    has been fried. Was this motherboard over-clocked, in order
    to play games? Get the CPU checked. If working, then the VIA
    chipset would then be suspect.

    Ghostrider, May 17, 2005
  9. Bond

    Bond Guest

    Nothing has been overclocked... The computer i currently getting a
    dignosis from a compputer technician.

    Thanks!

    Bond, May 18, 2005
  10. Bond

    Bob I Guest

    As the front button will typically power off the PC if held for 4
    seconds, perhaps it is shorted or jammed?

    Bob I, May 18, 2005
  11. Bond

    Bond Guest

    the problem was that too much dust had collected in the heatsink...
    therefore it was overheating to quickly... plus my power supply was a
    little screwy. Don't understand that since I tried a different one
    that also wouldn't work on mine... but I was told some power supplys
    will not work on some machines. meh, it works now! Thanks to all that
    provided feedback.

    Bond, May 19, 2005