Computer starts then stops, show CPU is Unworkable error

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Scott Frolich, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. Hello,
    I have had this system up and running for 4 months now with no
    problem. One time I go to start the computer by pressing the on
    button, it starts to fire up for about 3 seconds and then the power
    shuts off. I press the on button a few more times and it finally
    starts. When it does start it give me the CPU is Unworkable error. I
    hit F1 to continue and everything is fine. I've let it run for 2 weeks
    without turning it off and no problem whatsoever. If I turn it off and
    then turn it back on, once it has been running for a while, it will
    turn on with no problem. It seems to only happen if the computer has
    been off for over 30 minutes or so. It is slightly overclocked 2.4B
    at 2.7 running very cool so I'm pretty sure I didn't cook the CPU.

    I removed the SCSI card, sound card, power to all the periferals,
    reseated the memory and CPU and it didn't help.

    Does anyone have any ideas??

    System:
    Pentium 4 2.4B Ghz
    Corsair PC3700 2Gig
    Antec ~430W (this part is about 1.5 years old)
    one IDE Hard Drive
    one SCSI Hard Drive
    one SCSI CD Writer
    one IDE DVD Reader

    Scott Frolich, Feb 27, 2004

  2. Scott Frolich

    TomG Guest

    what mobo?

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 120,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Feb 27, 2004

  3. I knew I'd forget something...

    ABit IC7-MAX3

    Thanks, Scott

    Scott Frolich, Feb 27, 2004
  4. Scott Frolich

    TomG Guest

    I agree that you didn't "cook" the CPU... it could be a battery that is
    dying or even a low level short to the board from the case in the area of
    the battery. if the short were to have enough resistance, it would
    represent a drain on the battery and/or CMOS power when the system is shut
    down but not be enough a drain to stop the system from booting and retaining
    settings for a while.

    I have seen that type of situation (the short) more than once here in the
    group. I'd probably try replacing the battery (CR2032) and if the problem
    were to continue, I'd probably try running the system out of the case for a
    long enough period to see if the issue still existed.

    TomG, Feb 27, 2004