COMPUTER WITH WINDOWS XP HOME BLOCKED FOR NETWORK

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by RobertLito, Apr 2, 2005.

  1. RobertLito

    RobertLito Guest

    I have 5 computers in a network connected through a Linksys Router. Three of
    them have Windows 98 SE, one Windows XP Home and another Windows XP Pro.
    The Windows XP Home computer can see all shared resources in the other 4.
    The other 4 can see each other all their shared resources. None of the other
    four can see the shared resources in the Windows XP Home computer.
    When I open Network Neighborhood in any of the Win 98 computers or My
    Network Places in the Win XP Pro machine, and look for the shared folders in
    the Win XP Home machine, I can see the machine's name, but it does not show
    the resources. On double clicking the machine shown as part of the network, a
    window pops up saying: "\\computername not available. Not permission to
    acccess resource."
    The only way I can open a shared folder in the Win XP Home machine is going
    to Run and type the name of the machine and the shared folder as follows:
    \\machinename\sharedfoldername.
    Access to the shared folders in the Win XP Home machine used to be perfect
    when I first connected the machine to the network and all of a sudden no more
    access to its shared resources.
    I just want to add that every machine is perfectly identified in the network
    with its own name, its own IP number and as belonging to the same group.
    As a consequence of all this, I cannot even use the printer as a shared
    resource in that Win XP Home machine.
    My guess is that somehow, the identification of the Win XP Home machine
    is corrupted. Does anybody know how to troubleshoot this ?

    RobertLito, Apr 2, 2005

  2. RobertLito

    Chris H. Guest

    Robert, I would suggest you post to the
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web newsgroup where general networking
    questions are answered. This newsgroup supports the Tablet PCs. However,
    if you're running any third-party firewall (Symantec, Norton or ZoneAlarm)
    it could be blocking your other systems from seeing the computer. Make sure
    you use the networking wizard on the new machine, and verify that you're
    within the IP realm of the router and are using the same workgroup name.
    In memory of a true friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    Associate Expert

    Chris H., Apr 2, 2005