Computer wont boot and graphic card problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bob, Mar 7, 2004.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    I recently had graphic card problems, and determined that my graphics
    card had died, my friends all agreed with my diagnosis. I went and
    bought a Radeon 9600 se and a new sound card which i had been needing
    for awhile. I installed both of these and the computer finally showed
    something on the monitor (it wasnt displaying anything before). So
    after a series of driver installations etc. It was finally running,
    but not well (more on this later).

    So i called it a night around 1 am last night, shut down the computer
    and went to bed. I awoke this morning and tried to turn on the
    computer, and lo and behold, the fan turns on, monitor doesnt display
    anything, and none of my peripherials seemed to have power. I thought
    that i should try turning it off and on again, so i tried to turn it
    off using the power button (holding it down for 6 seconds) and nothing
    happened. I killed it using the switch and waited 10 seconds before
    turning it on again, and the same thing happened. The only bios
    setting that i had changed the previous night was one called "Win
    Graphic Size" and i changed it from "64M" to "128M" since i thought it
    had to do with the memory on the graphics card (new card has 128 megs
    of vram). I will post about my graphic card problems after this one
    gets solved.

    System specs (with new stuff installed)
    K7S5A Mobo with Athalon 1800+
    512 MB DDR RAM