    2 harddrives
    Could it be that the processor is DOA? Any help is appreciated!

    , Mar 4, 2007

  2. Carl Guest

    Have you got the most recent bios for that board, so that it can support a
    dual core chip?

    Carl, Mar 4, 2007

  3. Dylan C Guest

    wrote:
    > hello! i am new to google groups and i hope that someone can help me
    > out here. i recently purchased a new processor from Newegg. It's the
    > amd 64 x2 4400 toledo. i was hoping that i could just replace it with
    > my older processor, an amd 64 3200 venice (which is currently oc'd
    > from 2.0ghz to 2.3ghz). After replacing the processor, the computer
    > would power on for a split second and then die. i reset the cmos and
    > tried it again but to no avail. I thought i blew something out so i
    > put the old proc back in and here i am now typing up this issue. the
    > specs of my computer are
    > MSI K8N nForce4 mobo
    > 2x 512mb corsair ram
    > geforce 6600 GT
    > Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    > Orion 420W PSU
    > 2 harddrives
    > Could it be that the processor is DOA? Any help is appreciated!

    Even if you get the machine to power up, windows might have issues with
    just "dropping in" a dual core cpu. You might have to do an
    installation repair to get windows to install the SMP kernel.

    -Dylan C

    Dylan C, Mar 4, 2007
  4. milsabords Guest

    Dylan C wrote:
    > Even if you get the machine to power up, windows might have issues
    > with just "dropping in" a dual core cpu. You might have to do an
    > installation repair to get windows to install the SMP kernel.
    >
    > -Dylan C

    I replaced a 3000+ XP 64 by a 4800+ X2, after upgrading the BIOS, and Win XP
    loaded the multiprocessor HAL without reinstallation.

    --
    email: http://viadresse.com/?15121940

    milsabords, Mar 4, 2007
  5. Eric Parker Guest

    --
    Remove the dross to contact me directly
    "milsabords" <> wrote in message
    > Dylan C wrote:
    >> Even if you get the machine to power up, windows might have issues
    >> with just "dropping in" a dual core cpu. You might have to do an
    >> installation repair to get windows to install the SMP kernel.
    >>
    >> -Dylan C

    > I replaced a 3000+ XP 64 by a 4800+ X2, after upgrading the BIOS,
    > and Win XP loaded the multiprocessor HAL without reinstallation.

    Yep I've just done the same 4 hours ago.
    I'm typing now using it.
    Didn't help my typing none though.

    Eric

    --
    Remove the dross to contact me directly

    Eric Parker, Mar 5, 2007
  6. Guest

    On Mar 4, 12:18 am, "Carl" <> wrote:
    > Have you got the most recent bios for that board, so that it can support a
    > dual core chip?

    I will try to check my BIOS to see if that's the problem. I'm thinking
    that maybe I'm not getting enough wattage because I have a generic $10
    PSU.

    , Mar 6, 2007
  7. Amir Facade Guest

    You should have at least a $20 generic PSU for a Dual core Processor.

    Amir

    PS: I use the $25 ones myself.

    Amir Facade, Mar 6, 2007